Intro and question on hoods

Hey all -

I'm very excited to be taking delivery of a 2003 GT on Monday!
Black, 5 speed, and only ~52K miles.

I'm planning to add the obligatory chin spoiler and Mach 1 grill, and then after that, I'd really like to swap out the hood.
The stock "scoop" just doesn't do it for me, I'd much prefer the cobra heat extractor.

The trucarbon seems like it would be $1K w/ shipping, but likely wouldn't need paint.
I've seen fiberglass hoods for more like $600 w/ shipping, but would need paint and fitment.

So my questions are:
1. Does anyone have experience with these cheaper fiberglass hoods? Are they worth it?
2. Is there any good place (other than facebook marketplace) to get hoods (and other parts) second-hand?

Thanks all!
Bill

• Sponsors (?)

I picked up a Trufiber hood several years ago and the body man said it was a pain to get it right as far as fit and finish. It looks fine to me but if you are a little anal about looks you may not like it.

You can try junkyards for hoods.

I picked up a Trufiber hood several years ago and the body man said it was a pain to get it right as far as fit and finish. It looks fine to me but if you are a little anal about looks you may not like it.

You can try junkyards for hoods.
Thanks @COramprat

I'll take a look. I was staying away from junkyards because I didn't think the stock cobra hood fit well on the stock gt bumper.

The prep is what costs. The body guy that did mine admitted he took a lot longer than he expected becasue he was a bit anal about gettign it perfect. A lot of sanding but I thought it came out great.

You are right, the OEM Cobra hood would not fit a GT but there are other style OEM GT hoods that may suffice. The hood you have now is the bolt on nonfunctional scoop?

You could do the single rear vent found on some OEM 2004's

1641864247178.png

I think so.

Prep and paint on a used OEM one will be much less than prepping an aftermarket unit for the first time. It should already fit the car great, just needs color.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @KRUISR - are you suggesting I try and fund one of those in a junk yard? I’m not that familiar with it, and I didn’t see it on a quick search. Is that what came with the V6s?

99/01 Cobra hood, and was optional on 03/04 V6 Mustangs as part of a package so not every single one will have this style hood.

It's non-functional as well. Just a black insert faux hood vent.