Intro

rrbrucea

Jul 31, 2009
North Carolina
Hey all, I'm a newbie here. My step-daughters just inherited their dad's '67 coupe. 289 3 speed and red on red. Not a bad car, but it's been neglected mechanically.

Hope y'all can put up with a bunch of questions while I get this thing sorted out.

Is the only way to post pics by using a photo host like PhotoBucket or something?add pics

• Sponsors (?)

Here's some pics. It was pretty dusty from sitting out and the engine is a total greaseball. Right now the game plan is to get it reliable and hit some of the local cruise nights with it. Eventually want to do a whole new interior and rebuild things as necessary--front end, engine, etc.

Mustang4.jpg

Mustang5.jpg

Mustang8.jpg

Mustang289.jpg

That looks like a good Mustang to start with. Hopefully, you can get the mechanical bugs worked out. Whats the list of things actually wrong with it right now?

As far as the peeing on the garage floor, it may just be as simple as installing an overflow tank / coolant recovery tank. These classic Mustangs didn't come with them. That may be all that is really going on.

If it has sat for years, the gas tank is probably needing to be replaced. Thats not a hard project and its only about 100 bucks.

thats a much better base than what I started with, its a nice car...though at this point the engine probably needs to be gone through with a rebuild(mainly to replace all those leaky 40 year old gaskets) rebuilds really arent difficult, but they are tedious....but all that is down the road...start with the puking radiator issue and work from there

The radiator definitely has a leak, I can see it at the bottom of the core. Did these cars all come with radiator shrouds? If so, it's missing.

The other frustrations are all four window regulators are acting up. I THINK I have the driver's door pretty well straightened out, so only three more to go! :D

Both doors were acting up too--driver's door wouldn't open from the outside but after some time spent scraping knuckles and performing contortions it's working from inside AND outside. The passenger door however won't open from either the inside OR the outside.

Finally, do y'all have a "preferred" vendor? I have a Virginia Classic Mustang catalog, and their prices are good, but was wondering if they are good people to deal with and deliver the goods. Apologies in advance, but I've been a Mopar guy my whole life and know the good and bad vendors there. So the Mustang thing is pretty new to me and I want to be careful about who I spend the girl's $$$ with fixing this car up for them.

Thanks for the warm welcome! And just for grins, here's a pic of what I like to do with my spare time--sorry it's a Mopar, but I DO have some Mustangs on the list--including this '67 coupe. :D
SampleCuriousYellow2.jpg

Oh, as for the list of what really needs to get done to the car "right now", the radiator would top the list. I've replaced the carb. It could probably use a tune up.

After that I need to get the passenger door working and all the window regulators. That's it for now.

Not sure about the gas tank. SO far there's been no trouble there. Knock on wood!:D

These classic Mustangs did not all come with shrouds. I would add a shroud to it. I think it may have only been on cars with AC or some other option. Most I have seen didn't come with a shroud.

As far as vendors go, Virginia Mustang is a good place. I also like NPD, Mustangs Unlimited, Mustangs Plus, and Paddock. Mustangs Plus seems to have some restomod type parts that others don't. There is also CJ Pony Parts which offers good prices and often free shipping, but sometimes it takes a while to get your order.

Even if the gas tank doesn't seem to have any issues, you may be surprised at whats inside.

Thats a cool Cuda rendering.