Introducing myself and seeking tips how to repair my 1979 Foxbody chrome strips

JosTee

Apr 27, 2019
Netherlands
Hello Mustanglovers,
Here a message from the Netherlands. I am Jos Teunissen and i still own a 1979 hatchback V6 2,8L. I known it maybe not belong here . But i have no other way to go (yet). In a glimp i repaired a lot on the car wich was quite abused. Brakes , rear axle, wiring,rusted body and a worn engine were part of the story. I swept the engine for a K-jetronic 2.8 and put a lot of new parts in the engine when it was rebuild.And alot more repairs but thats is solved now.
But my problem is now how to put back the chrome strips around the front and rear window. I bought new clips by mustangsinlimited-old ones were very rusted and most of them felt in pieces whentkaing them of. But now the new nes seems not to fit really. They dont snap in.?? I also forgot in time how the came off really.
Is there somebody how knowns how to fit them back. Do i have to push them first on the points around the window or first to push them in the chromestrips? Some picture i hope to attach.
Also a question about the stuff the windows are glued to the body. This putty stays soft so you can put the chromestrips of the quarterwindow back into it. Is there a putty on the market what have the same structure . The windowglue i found becomes so hard so you cannot put the strips back after i changed a window.
I liked to finish the car after a long time of repair and take it back to the road .
I have some more quistions about the C4 tranny but i keeep that for later for when the car is back on the road.
Thank you a lot already if you can give me some tips tricks or techniques.
Greetings from the Netherlands Jos Teunissen.
Foxbody's are quit rare here those days and worth almost nothing but is still love the Ghia-design

Attachments

• DSC_0079.JPG
    DSC_0079.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_0102.JPG
    DSC_0102.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the forum !

That looks like a very nice car. Your english is very good. You write better than a lot of people here.

The clips go on the body first. Then the trim gets snapped into it. I wish i had pictures from when i changed mine. They install the same from 79 to 93.

The stuff the windows were originally installed with is butyl. 3m 08612 will not get hard. The surfaces have to be cleaned well. This stuff is only 3/8 inch thick so may need to double it up. Its very sticky stuff.

Screenshot_20190508-221632_Amazon Shopping.jpg

What is your favorite beer in the Netherlands ? Beer or any other alcohol beverage. If you don't drink the popular Dutch alcohol will work. This is a way to make you like family. Several of us enjoy a drink sometimes.

Do you have any pictures of the engine ?
It is Ford´s PRC engine from Cologne with a K-jetronic injection. It gives about 110 kW \150 Hp with 212 Nm of torque.Engine has new piston rings,bearings,oil and waterpump,lifters, grind off course the valves into the seats,Honed perfectly
Welcome to the forum !

That looks like a very nice car. Your english is very good. You write better than a lot of people here.

The clips go on the body first. Then the trim gets snapped into it. I wish i had pictures from when i changed mine. They install the same from 79 to 93.

The stuff the windows were originally installed with is butyl. 3m 08612 will not get hard. The surfaces have to be cleaned well. This stuff is only 3/8 inch thick so may need to double it up. Its very sticky stuff.

What is your favorite beer in the Netherlands ? Beer or any other alcohol beverage. If you don't drink the popular Dutch alcohol will work. This is a way to make you like family. Several of us enjoy a drink sometimes.
Welcome to the forum !

. Thank you for the compliments, my face turned red. If you could take a closer look you would see the many imperfections on the car. The repaint was not done properly. Another repaint will give my trouble with my wife unless i win the lottery next week. LOL. About the drinking. Here in the eastern part of the Netherlands we\i like to drink Grolsch- during the week mostly 0,0% advised by the doctor, haha- but also Bavaria. You love or hate it. But more the strong Belgian special beers like the Duvel, Westmalle tripel, LaChouffe etc but also some good German pilseners. The German border is half hour drive and beer is much cheaper there. When i was younger i used to drink /try a lot of different beers/pilseners.
Thank you for the tips i guess they are very usefull. !!! I will try the get the 3M stuff.
I think i will post a new question about the C4 tranny in the nearby future .
Thank you again for the fast response. Attached a picture of the engine and one of the beautiful Mercury Capri taillights

by a machineshop

Attachments

• DSC_0095.JPG
    DSC_0095.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_0091.JPG
    DSC_0091.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 165
Welcome to the forum !

Welcome @JosTee

I just bought that same roll to repair my rear window in my 02 f-150. Havnt used it yet, but I can tell it is definitely sticky!

And yes..... beer is good!!!

Thank you all for the reply's so far.Tomorrow and next week evening time to work on the car.Now saturdayevening. Time for some real beers, some good music. At a decent time to bed. Tomorrow its Mothers-Day so have to pay a visit to my mother.Then maybe watch the F1 race and maybe some cycling.

About the clips. As you maybe can see on the picture the new clips a slightly different from the old ones.. I tried earlier several ways to fit them but never first put the clips in place and then push the trim into it. Thus far i only put dents into the strip. You have to love them because driving them these days with the prices of the gas cost you a few bucks.

Attachments

• DSC_0217.JPG
    DSC_0217.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_0089.JPG
    DSC_0089.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 136