Intrument Panel Light Filters....What color should I use?

What color filters should I use?

• Yellow / Amber

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red / Orange

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blue / Green (Original Color)

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters

65stanger

big blue fuzzy closet monster
Founding Member
I am in the process of "refreshing" a '65 GT - style instrument panel (5 gauges) for my 'stang. The four original panel light filters are half melted, scratched and otherwise shot.
I have three choices of colors for the replacement filters.......which do y'all think I should go with?:

yellow/amber
red/orange
blue/green (original color)

When I am finished with the refurbishment the panel will have a wood grain bezel, and white gauge face overlays.

Thanks!
BBFCM

• Sponsors (?)

t_chelle16 said:
What color is the interior going to be?

-Chelle

Palomino with wood grain accents...( glove box door, custom made rear package tray, dash knobs, shifter handle, door handles. ) I am going to convert the door panels to the "pony" option, so those panels probably won't be palomino, but the metal will be, same for the seat upholstery, I don't think it comes in palomino for the 'pony' style........in those cases I will go with a complimentary color ( I think parchment is the closest? ) and may go two-tone on the seats ( parchment-white? )

Pakrat said:
And what color is/will the paint going to be on the outside? I have to say I'm leaning towards the original green/blue only becasue it si so much easier on the eyes but red looks nice if the paint is in that family.
Exterior paint is going to be the original Ivy Green (sort of a dark, semi-metallic) and I'm considering doing the Shelby style stripes (just the top, no rocker stripes) in gold.

Consider LED lighting.

I removed my filters completely and installed blue LED's along with the white face guage overlays. I'm very happy with the results. Course, the end result is some very blue lighting. But they make LED's nowadays in just about any color you can imagine.. and you can probably buy all that you need for less that what your replacement filters cost.

Then, you have lighting that takes almost nothing for power and bulbs with a 100,000hr life expectancy (in a car this basically means forever).

I buy all of my LED's from either of these 2 places:
www.lsdiodes.com
www.superbrightleds.com

Not trying to hijack. I had this idea go through my head and I have a Candy-apple red car with black interior. Where can you get these red/orange Colored filters? I have been dying to find some I thought I would have to figure out a way to fab some up.

Did I show up Too Late???

65stanger said:
Any more opinions before I place my order? :shrug:

If you haven't made your order yet, may I say that the original color would go very nicely with the paint and interior!

Now, if you haven't already ordered it; you might look at that "light fiber" that 'Chelle used. Oh, wait a minute :doh: I just went back and read where you're doing the "white face" covers; maybe the super lighting would be make the guages too bright.

Hey, I'm glad you had a thread near the top. It's the only one I'd want to drop back in on.

Any chance I can sneak back into the closet and check on the Jacuzzi?

Still Dreamin'

StangDreamin' said:
If you haven't made your order yet, may I say that the original color would go very nicely with the paint and interior!

Now, if you haven't already ordered it; you might look at that "light fiber" that 'Chelle used. Oh, wait a minute :doh: I just went back and read where you're doing the "white face" covers; maybe the super lighting would be make the guages too bright.

Hey, I'm glad you had a thread near the top. It's the only one I'd want to drop back in on.

Any chance I can sneak back into the closet and check on the Jacuzzi?
"'

Still Dreamin'
Woo Hoo! My lil green one-eyed side kick is back!
Ya- I ordered the filters on Monday. I haven't ordered the white face gauge kit yet, the only place I found with a reasonable price ($15. - about all I can afford at the moment) only takes paypal. All the others I've seen are $55. and up!:eek:
You don't have to sneak in to check the jacuzzi, but I'll warn you, the North-Eastern end is a little cool right now.

BTW- You might want to look for the thread we started asking where you'd gotten off to........just search for thread title with "StangDreamin

I'm PISSED!

First, the good news: My new bezel and lens arrived today from Mustangs Unlimited!:nice: The light filter kit (blue / green) is on backorder...... :shrug:

But I am royally pissed at the UPS driver!:mad: The lazy s.o.b., instead of walking up the steps to my front porch (which has an overhang and is dry) and handing me the package......He walked up the driveway and left the box sitting in front of the 'stang IN THE POURING RAIN!.....so not only was the box getting wet (damned good thing I was home!), but I had to get wet going outside to pick it up!:mad::mad::mad:

Yes, UPS is going to get a phone call!

t_chelle16 said:
We once had a UPS guy put a package in Dad's jeep and not leave a note. We didn't find it until the company had another package on it's way.

-Chelle
I spoke with the local delivery supervisor at UPS yesterday. He was going to speak with the driver. He also told me, it is their policy to go to the front door to attempt delivery first, and then leave the package (which would've been my dry front porch), and in wet weather they are supposed to put the packages in plastic bags!
This particular driver has NEVER done that! When I ordered my new front suspension last year. he left the package in front of the 'stang and I found it three days later (when I checked the tracking system!). :nonono: