IS A 2000 EXPLORER MOTOR CLOSE TO A 91 HO

• Sponsors (?)

Be sure to use a Chilton's manual to check the firing order. If the cam is not a roller cam, then the distributor gear needs to be changed.

If the firing order is different, then the computer isn't 100% compatible. The fuel injectors will squirt at the wrong time if the firing order is different.

Most of the later model explorers used DIS (distributorles ignition), so you'll need the distributor from your 5.0 engine.

The firing order is the same, but as was stated, it has the GT40P heads, so you'll need some "P" specific headers to work with that engine. You'd be better off swapping the cam to a more performance oriented one while you were working on it. The only downside to the 2000 engine versus your 91 is that you'll end up with hypereutectic pistons instead of forged. You'll also need to swap over your oil pan and oil pump pickup tube, but the pump itself is the same between the two. I have a 2000 Explorer engine in my 95 GT, so feel free to ask anything you need to know.

StangGt got it. While you're in there, swap the Exploder cam for the HO, or a TFS stage 1. You'll end up with a motor capable of 260-300 RWHP, depending on cam choice, tune, and supporting mods. Keep in mind that any cam other than the wimpy exploder job will need upgraded valve springs. TFS makes a nice drop-in kit for $130 or so.

thanks for the info so far. i will buy the gt40p ford headers and was thinking about the x303 or z303 cam will the valves clear the pistons with these cams. if not i will get new forged ones. i currently have a b303 cam is the x and z better.i also have the upper and lower intakes for the 2000 explorer motor how much better are these

With either of those cams, you'll definitely need to check your piston to valve clearance. I've heard that the F cam is the biggest of the FRPP cams you can run without piston modification, but you're still supposed to check clearance anyway. What made you decide on the X or Z cams? I'm sure there's better cams out there, especially with a split pattern design to help the often asthmatic exhaust ports on stock Ford heads. Also, with that much lift (.542 for the X or .552 for the Z), you'd definitely need to upgrade the springs on there, or you may have some pretty bad coil bind issues.

i was just looking for something better than my b303 cam.is the trick flow that much better than the 303s.also how do you like your motor setup as mine will probably be close to yours - the trick flow heads and pp intake