Is a 4.6 block from a 95 Crown Vic Good for anything?

• Thread starter Deleted member 87397
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 87397

I've got a SOHC 4.6 sitting in a 95 Vic that I'm parting out and was wondering if that's a block someone would buy for a build? If it's not, I won't bother pulling the motor. I know the aftermarket for the 2 valve engines has gotten a lot better, but can a block that originally had single cam heads be used with DOHC heads by swapping timing covers and such? Someone help me out here. I'm strictly a 5.0 guy and don't know a ton about interchange between these engines and heads.

• Sponsors (?)

The block can be used, however swapping the 4V heads to a SOHC block will cause a large decrease in compression because the 4V heads have a larger combustion chamber than the 2V heads. You can either use a 4V rod/piston set, or get a new forged bottom end with a piston dish that will give you a decent compression ratio. Other than that, you will have to swap over all the 4V accessories if you use the 4V timing cover...

Changing internals would be a given. I'd never put the better heads on 2V internals. I was just wondering if it was worth yanking out of the car to sell. I don't have any use for it really.

If they are PI heads then you could probably get $500 or more for the engine. That might be worth it. BTW, if the trans is there and you're not gonna use it then you might as well pull it and sell it also...

The trans is the reason I'm getting rid of it. It needs a rebuild and the car is not worth it. So I'll probably sell the trans too. The heads aren't worth anything since they are non PI. Thanks for your replies.