Engine Is a screen necessary in a MAF housing?

markinms

5 Year Member
Mar 1, 2018
Columbus MS
I recently installed a 70mm MAF housing from a 93 Cobra (with a 70mm MAF sensor from a 95 Mustang). This particular housing does not come with a screen or groove to add a screen.

Is a screen really necessary? I'm using a K&N cone-style air filter.

Thanks for any feedback!
Mark

• Sponsors (?)

This is a hard one to answer without test equipment to properly see a before/after result. I'm sure I could rig something up, but it would suck up some time I cannot spare at he moment.

Anyway, the screen is meant to be a diffuser. It's job is to smooth out the airflow prior to entering the meter. However, it's pretty thin, so i'm not sure how well it accomplishes this task. I've seen other MAF's with a honeycomb structure almost like a bees nest prior to the MAF. That seems like a more effective design.

Aftermarket ones do not have this structure, but unsure if the design is such to accommodate such expected turbulence.

Like I said, this one requires some testing to see if the MAF output readings fluctuate as CFM rises and falls with and without the screen. Until such testing is done, I always default to the original configuration.

TL/DR. Yes, keep the screen

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Yeh, I assumed the screen did more than just catch debris.

I am not having problems at this time running without a screen in the MAF. Just asking as other MAFs I've seen, including the 55mm one I swapped out, had a screen in them. I noticed many aftermarket ones do not have one as well.

Thanks for the feedback!
Mark

Aftermarket MAFs due have the screen...specifically if you order a Pro-M maf calibrated for a cold air intake where the intake plumbing before the MAF utilizes a 90 degree to put the filter in the fender well. Like mentioned it helps to "straighten' the air from the 90 as the air tumbles due to the air speed differences between the inner and outer radii of the 90.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the feedback. While I do not have a 90 degree bend in the hose prior to the MAF (mines a straight shot from air filter to MAF), I'm still going to add a screen just to play it safe.

The 93 Cobra MAF Housing has no provision for adding a screen. So I'm going to insert a screen (pizza screen I ordered from Amazon) into the outlet of the K&N cone-type air filter that I use. I "should" get the same results. Will be doing this this afternoon.

Thanks again!
Mark

not to hijack this thread.. I have a 95 mass air meter on my 89 Ford Mustang 5.0 5 speed Factory air box with a K&n drop in air filter I'm not running a mass air meter screen right now but after reading this I will be putting it on I have the mass air meter screen from a 95

mine's nothing fancy but this is how my came out

Attachments

• 20201115_180042.jpg
    20201115_180042.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 94
Be very careful adding the screen without the proper mounting. IMO, it's not worth the risk of having something come lose in the intake tract that'll possibly get sucked into the throttle body at WOT and jam it open.
Your air filter should do a good job at providing a smooth airflow as long as it's not getting a direct stream from the fan. Installing a shield plate would mitigate that issue if it does.