is backfire bad??

• Sponsors (?)

what you're describing is actually called afterfire (commonly called backfire but 2 different things) and no it is not bad.

The function of the cats is to break up unburned fuel to make cleaner emissions. When you remove the cats, the fuel ignites in the exhaust causing an explosion and the popping noise you hear.

Funny this was posted. I was just about to post the same thing.

I know it would have nothing to do with it, but a week ago when I got my gears installed the car has been poppin and backfiring when its in gear and decelerating. My dad says vacuum leak. I have looked everwhere for vacuum leaks and stuff. Sprayed anything that has to do with air with some carb cleaner to try and find the leak. I replaced the charcoal canister purge sensor and valve. 80 bucks wasted. I need to figure this out guys.

Sorry to hijack your thread!! Good luck with your problem

Yea I was wondering that also, b/c when I was at mustang week I ran into a turbo civic that wanted to play so right when I had my 2nd to 3rd shift my car backfired so loud it almost scared me, I mean its dont it before but it sounded like a shotgun, the driver of that civic probably thought I was shooting at him. Haha. Yeah he was behind me. :D

if your car just kinda burbles/pops when you let off the gas and are decelerating, thats nothing to worry about ....backfire is different ...loud and sounds kinda like a firecracker ...i doubt it would hurt your car but it definetly shouldnt be running like that all the time (if it is actually backfiring) I've had that problem more with older cars ..usually the carburator