Is it possible to change a long shaft 67 steering box to a short shaft version?

mfp4073

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2001
Hells Ditch, FL
I have a really early 67 with the long shaft steering box. To get it out you have get the car pretty high. Figured if I am going to go with an aftermarket steering box...probably flaming river type setup, I would see about changing it over to a later short version.....I am really pretty ignorant to the steering box/steering column area as I have not done anything with it. Anyone know what it would take?

• Sponsors (?)

mfp4073 said:
I have a really early 67 with the long shaft steering box. To get it out you have get the car pretty high. Figured if I am going to go with an aftermarket steering box...probably flaming river type setup, I would see about changing it over to a later short version.....I am really pretty ignorant to the steering box/steering column area as I have not done anything with it. Anyone know what it would take?

Yes,see http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto/30247/...this gives a pretty good idea of how it is done...much safer than the solid shaft. :nice:

I just did that to my 67, only the early 67s had the long shaft, and YES it is tough to get it out. Rather than jack the car up high try removing the drivers seat, that gave me the most wiggle room. According to the Ford Shop manual the box does not come out from the bottom of the car is comes out the top (I had to remove the master cylider and booster) by the number 7 & 8 cylinders. To do it the top part of the shaft was way down low where the drivers seat was before I could wiggle the box around the shock tower.