Is It Time To Change Things Up?

GroverDill

GoldMember
Founding Member
Aug 18, 1999
Demotte IN 46310
I have owned my 93 Fox for over 20 years now and have been through a bunch of changes with it over the years. I have gone from a basic bolt on car to H/C/I car to a blownH/C/I car to what it is now Turbo 363. Since moving to North Idaho ( I freaking love it here ) in 2013 I have done next to nothing to the car. I did install a Cobra PS rack, that is about it.

The car scene here is very different than SoCal, almost everything is a classic or current model and our beloved Foxes fall in that middle ground with no real home. So this combined with my rekindled love for motorcycles, lack of E85 my Fox has spent the last year in my shop only coming out a handful of times. I have even considered selling it, I doubt it would sell as 25k for a Fox is not an easy sell.

With all that said,I think I need to change things up. Unable to find a tuner to retune the car I am considering a complete make over. I am considering some form of N/A power and hopping off the boosted bandwagon. Pump Gas is 100% a must, huge power numbers take a distant second to drivability.

So lets talk about that....

What do I do?

Sell the entire drivetrain and replace it all with a Coyote set up

Dump the turbo, cam swap, maybe change to the newer holley EFI for that self tuning love?

I dont know what to do, but I am wanting to do something. This could all be wasted typing and nothing will change...

• Sponsors (?)

I have owned my 93 Fox for over 20 years now and have been through a bunch of changes with it over the years. I have gone from a basic bolt on car to H/C/I car to a blownH/C/I car to what it is now Turbo 363. Since moving to North Idaho ( I freaking love it here ) in 2013 I have done next to nothing to the car. I did install a Cobra PS rack, that is about it.

The car scene here is very different than SoCal, almost everything is a classic or current model and our beloved Foxes fall in that middle ground with no real home. So this combined with my rekindled love for motorcycles, lack of E85 my Fox has spent the last year in my shop only coming out a handful of times. I have even considered selling it, I doubt it would sell as 25k for a Fox is not an easy sell.

With all that said,I think I need to change things up. Unable to find a tuner to retune the car I am considering a complete make over. I am considering some form of N/A power and hopping off the boosted bandwagon. Pump Gas is 100% a must, huge power numbers take a distant second to drivability.

What do I do?

Dump the turbo, cam swap, maybe change to the newer holley EFI for that self tuning love?

I dont know what to do, but I am wanting to do something. This could all be wasted typing and nothing will change...

And yet another turbocharger falls victim to sensibility.
I've always thought that you have a beautiful car, and I've always stood on my little soap box siding w/ driveability as the main modification goal.

Now,..that said...A mod motor looks really good in these cars (seems I was saying this same junk just today) They run like a sewing machine, Look like a Boss, and make more than enough power to make a fun daily driver. Granted, after having as much power as you've had, it may seem lack luster, but I found it to be the "different" that I was looking for. For me,...I'd like to see one w/ a IR throttle body setup looking like Webers, but w/o the hassle.

A Coyote on the other hand will obviously require the additional control pack,..whereas a Mod motor can run off of the dreaded MS system....

Put the holley in it and turn it down a hair to run pump gas.

Guys preach high hp windsor cant be driven..... Ive driven up to 120+miles one way in the dead of summer. Daily drove my car for a week straight at mustang week. With an a9p and a pms . Dinosaur stuff. I make half what you do. 581 at the tire as of now but plan on making another 100-120 or so with the YSI.

I know it can be done with what you have. You will never be satisfied after making silly power trying to go backwards.

Reactions: 1 user
I do have a stock hood and that is 100% staying. I guess my real problem is the car is tuned for e85 and the nearest place that sells e85 is now 3 hours away and I have no local resources for improving the drivability tune.

So even if I want to just keep the combo as it is I need a pump gas tune and for whatever reason Big Stuff 3 is like black magic here, no one seems to know anything about them.

I think my combo without the turbo and a higher reving cam would be fun, although massive overkill for 400-450 rwhp. The car currently has Viper T56 in it so I could reuse the trans.

Just swap to Holley and turn the boost/timing down? Holley system is what I would do. Swapping to a coyote sounds cool but will you be satisfied with that power level(or want more)? Also a n/a 363 would be just as powerful/drivable :shrug:

I did recently buy a ranger off a co-worker for $400. The 5 speed was trashed so I had it rebuilt. I am actually installing it today. 2wd 94 4.0 extended cab.

To be clear this is a make it run project, no mods! I can use a decent cheap little pick up.

Attachments

• IMG_0713.JPG
    IMG_0713.JPG
    491.2 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: 2 users
Why can't you remote tune the BS3? Email some logs and they send you the tune. Should be easy to back off the timing and fuel that way, but my only experience is with tunerstudio so what do I know. Just guessing.

What do I do?

With lots of possibilities of combos to change to there will be one common change regardless of combo, GOODBYE BS3! So why not just start there. If I'm understanding your frustration correctly, your issue is not with your engine combo, its with your EFI tuning system. If there is local support for Holley EFI then go with that. Once you get that dialed in if you feel the need to be NA then go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
I do have a stock hood and that is 100% staying. I guess my real problem is the car is tuned for e85 and the nearest place that sells e85 is now 3 hours away and I have no local resources for improving the drivability tune.

So even if I want to just keep the combo as it is I need a pump gas tune and for whatever reason Big Stuff 3 is like black magic here, no one seems to know anything about them.

I think my combo without the turbo and a higher reving cam would be fun, although massive overkill for 400-450 rwhp. The car currently has Viper T56 in it so I could reuse the trans.

I think taking the turbo off and re configuring your 363 would be every bit as much fun as switching to a coyote, if you were to end up making big changes. The 363 could/would have way more torque, and that to me is 75% of the fun on the street. Just trading my '11 GT for a 6.1 Liter (370ci) SRT8 has shown me how much more fun the extra torque is. I also agree that I would start with changing tuning systems and seeing if you can make your current combo more suitable for your geographic needs though.