Is it true???

• Sponsors (?)

mustangs have posi's too.... friend just got upgraded axles with posi... not just chevy's

and as for the guy's question... i think you meant live axle when u said "just straight" ... im sure u dont mean posi which is what makes both tires spin at the same time... its always been a live axle...

BLUE03GT said:
mustangs have posi's too.... friend just got upgraded axles with posi... not just chevy's

and as for the guy's question... i think you meant live axle when u said "just straight" ... im sure u dont mean posi which is what makes both tires spin at the same time... its always been a live axle...
no what i herd was that they was a solid connection (a spool) between the tires. yeah i know the stangs have always been live axle.except for the 98 and newer cobra and mock 1

everynameistake said:
no what i herd was that they was a solid connection (a spool) between the tires. yeah i know the stangs have always been live axle.except for the 98 and newer cobra and mock 1

The 98 cobra had sthe straight axle as well. And the mach 1 is also a straight axle. Only the 99+ cobras have the IRS.

SixFivePony said:
Actually, Ford's positive traction system was called the Detroit Locker if I'm not mistaken.

Not sure when it changed to Traction Lok

What???:rlaugh:
A Detroit Locker is a name brand. Totally separate from Ford and is a VERY aggressive locker. Mostly used for hard core drag racing or offroading. Not something anybody would want to use on the street unless you want to be squealing your tires round every corner and go sliding out of control every time the road gets wet or icy.. Also Possi is not a name brand. It's a word created on the streets for Posi Traction which is a generic term for how a unit works which is made by MANY, companies and is also an old school term for a locker. We have what would be considered a “limited slip” differential on Mustangs, Camaros etc. Our rear ends along with the IRS Cobras use clutches in the rear with a friction modifier added in When we normally drive we have one tire that has power. When that axle spins up too much the clutches grip and add power to the other axle effectively turning our one wheeled wonders into a car with both tires planting power. This is why you will occasionally see Mustangs and Camaros doing a one wheeled burnout because their clutch pack in the rear of their car is pretty much fried or they have no friction modifier added to their diff fluid. Lockers give great traction in a straight line but sucks for any car that’s a daily driver. It’s almost dangerous.

BlackGT89 said:
Some cars came from the factory with Detroit Lockers back in the 60's and 70's, but you would get an annoying clicking when going around corners. Probably not something one would want to live with everyday.
Now days their so tight that you wil squeel around corners. Had one on my Scout II. Great for offroad but horrible for street driving.

AzSnake said:
What???:rlaugh: ...
.. Also Possi is not a name brand. It's a word created on the streets for Posi Traction which is a generic term for how a unit works which is made by MANY, companies and is also an old school term for a locker...
Um no,
Posi is short for Posi-traction which is not a generic term it is what GM named their limited slip. GMs have Positraction, Mopars and AMCs have Sure-Grip, Ford and Mercury have Traction Locs.
Only GMs (or a car equipped with a GM diff) have Posi's. Some one saying they " have a Posi in their Mustang " is flat out wrong. Mustangs with limited slips have Traction Loks (or Detriot lockers if they are lucky enough to own a 65 or 66 Shelby GT350) period.

Svtpilot said:
Um no,
Posi is short for Posi-traction which is not a generic term it is what GM named their limited slip. GMs have Positraction, Mopars and AMCs have Sure-Grip, Ford and Mercury have Traction Locs.
Only GMs (or a car equipped with a GM diff) have Posi's. Some one saying they " have a Posi in their Mustang " is flat out wrong. Mustangs with limited slips have Traction Loks (or Detriot lockers if they are lucky enough to own a 65 or 66 Shelby GT350) period.

Um no, right back at you
Do a search on Positraction....Nearly EVERY locker company and 3rd member company out there has "positraction" listed for every type of vehicle they make for. If it was what GM named their unit it would be a trademark and would not be allowed to be used in the context the way nearly every company out there uses it.
Positraction is not a GM name, it's not owned by GM, it was never trademarked by GM.

Now GM used it heavily and probably more than other but it's not a GM trademark.