Is It Worth It?

Zbanks1

Sep 16, 2012
I am graduating college soon and that means graduation presents. I have a 89 5.0 with a full exhaust other than that it's stock. I have a block out of a 94 gt. Dad said he will either send me on a vacation or foot the bill to start the process of building that block (ex. Boring the block etc). My question is, is it worth throwing the money that it will cost to build the motor into a block that is so old? And if so what are the limitations of that style block?

• Sponsors (?)

What are your intentions for the car? How well does your current engine run? If it doesn't burn any oil and has good compression, you would be better off putting the money towards some heads, an intake, and a new cam. Until you start getting into power adders with high amounts of boost, the stock block can take quite a beating as long as you aren't building a setup that needs to rev to the moon to make power.

I say take the vacation, the car will always be here to play with. Keep the engine you have if it is still in good running order and work towards a top end kit and a cam shaft, maybe rear gears or something else like that. Sunny Carribean beaches here I come :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
that 94 lock is no better than what you already have. If the cars is in decent order, i'd do an intake, heads, cam and the supporting mods and be happy with the new power for now. Also, if you dont alraedy have them, get some subframe connectors welded in and the list goes on an on

Vacation to where and who with? Making memories on trips with buds is awesome but a trip to a local watering hole isnt much to talk about.

I say rebuild your mustang and take a road trip with it. Best of both worlds.Good luck and congratulations on graduating.

Travel, Adveture, youthful carefree fun. Take the Vacation. You can build the mustang anytime. My 02 worth.... And definitely congratulations!!

I'd say go for building the engine...... But I am also someone who tried very hard to stay away from relationships, marriage, kids, the white picket fence, etc. Feels pretty good to be 28 with none of that crap!.... Actually, it doesn't. It's a sad miserable damn life, so take your vacation and enjoy doing something different, not at home in your garage spending too much time on a damn car because you have nothing else.

I'd say go for building the engine...... But I am also someone who tried very hard to stay away from relationships, marriage, kids, the white picket fence, etc. Feels pretty good to be 28 with none of that crap!.... Actually, it doesn't. It's a sad miserable damn life, so take your vacation and enjoy doing something different, not at home in your garage spending too much time on a damn car because you have nothing else.

1513203_517585848357263_934889259_n.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Vacation.
BTW, I'd never rebuild a 302 unless I was stroking it. But if I'd ever stroke anything it would be a 351 but anyways I'm about to get off topic. Just buy a low mile Explorer motor, put your cam in it, 1.7 roller rockers, good valve springs, and have fun for cheap. Oh and you can buy an Explorer/Mountaineer motor for like 500 at the most. I've been lucky enough to have them given to me before. The last one I bought was $250 lol

How expensive of a vacation are we taking? I'd say do something with the car before life gets in the way. I was in the navy stationed in va and on the way back from deployment we stopped in Spain. Guess what? The beer we drank in Spain gave the same buzz it gave in va. While I'm betting you go w your buddies and have fun and there's nothing wrong with that remember memories are great but they fade and buddies move on. I'd have one helluva car if I wouldn't have squandered so much money making memories

I vote for a nice vacation/removal of debt before any car crap. When I was young I def would have voted the opposite way. Not now. The fun vacations/trips/memories are what help define us. Cars stuff comes and goes. You can do the car stuff as money and time dictate IMO

How expensive of a vacation are we taking? I'd say do something with the car before life gets in the way. I was in the navy stationed in va and on the way back from deployment we stopped in Spain. Guess what? The beer we drank in Spain gave the same buzz it gave in va. While I'm betting you go w your buddies and have fun and there's nothing wrong with that remember memories are great but they fade and buddies move on. I'd have one helluva car if I wouldn't have squandered so much money making memories
Yeah, but it tasted alot better. I was stationed in Spain. Torrejon AB.