Drivetrain Is My Clutch Fork Supposed To Do That?

JohnDice

Sep 5, 2015
Hello all, new guy here.

I purchased an 88 GT a few months ago and replaced the clutch cable and quadrant with the aftermarket set up from MM. With the cable tension released from the clutch fork the fork itself has a lot of play in it. It also makes a horrid creaking/grinding sound whenever it moves. I know the creaking sound isn't normal of course but I was wondering if the fork was supposed to have that much play in it?

The clutch engages just fine and it drives just fine but it makes that noise whenever the fork moves as if its grinding on something in the bellhousing. I'm wondering if maybe the fork has popped off one of the springs or something or somehow popped off of the pivot joint? I'd think that the clutch wouldn't even engage if either of those happened though or is it just barely holding on in there? I drive the car all the time with no issues I just know something is wrong in there and I don't want to have something break on me while driving down the road.

I took a couple videos to show what I'm talking about. The bottom video has the cable attached to the fork but the tension is really loose so I could show the fork moving around like that and making that noise.

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

OMG, isnt that the worst man? I pulled the trans AT LEAST 3 times trying to fix this :leghump:ing squeak. I ended up lubing the hell out of the pivot stud and eventually replacing it/ lubing up my shift fork and around the throwout bearing...no more squeaks. 99% sure it was the pivot stud, I bet you will find it is worn out and causing noise.

Alright thanks for the replies guys. I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to pull the tranny but it looks like Im going to have to. I was hoping it was something I could grease and make it go away.

I guess I might as well install a new clutch kit while Im at it. It's fine for now but I hate dropping transmissions so I might as well just go ahead and replace everything while I have it out so I dont have to drop it again any time soon.

Welcome to owning a 27-year-old car. Sounds like you're in need of some new drivetrain parts. A new clutch release lever and pivot stud are in order IMO.
This is probably a rather dumb question but is it actually hurting anything by having a worn out and/or dry pivot ball like that? Like will it eventually fail and snap loose or something or does it just make that annoying creaking sound?

Is it still safe to drive around or is it something that I should never have been driving around on the first place and need to replace immediately? I planned on doing major work on the car during the winter when I garage it in a couple months and was wondering if its something that can wait until then.

This is probably a rather dumb question but is it actually hurting anything by having a worn out and/or dry pivot ball like that? Like will it eventually fail and snap loose or something or does it just make that annoying creaking sound?

Is it still safe to drive around or is it something that I should never have been driving around on the first place and need to replace immediately? I planned on doing major work on the car during the winter when I garage it in a couple months and was wondering if its something that can wait until then.
Safe, short term....but like Brothers stated, the longer it stays this way, the more it's going to wear. May even lead to throw out bearing failure. i wouldn't leave it like this long term.