Is My Engine A "roller"?

PattyJoe

May 24, 2014
I just picked up an '84 mustang t-top with an HO motor. This is my first mustang with a carburetor. I was just wondering if this is a "roller" motor being that is an HO. It has the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order. Also I want to install an HEI distributor with the coil in cap to clean up the engine compartment. I have read online that roller motors must have a bronze gear on the distributor, is this true?

• Sponsors (?)

If you could find the casting number on the block, that would tell you for certain what year it was. It should be near the front of the block by the starter?

Barring that....pulling the intake off will tell you for certain, as the lifters, dog bones and hold down will be apparent. You might be able to pull off a valve cover and look down the pushrod holes with a flashlight to see the tie down bars (dog bones)?

These are what you'll be looking fore when you shine the flashlight down....

SAM_0496.jpg

....they're designed to keep the lifters from rotating in the bore. If you haven't got them (or at least provisions for them), or some sort of link system keeping the rollers straight, you haven't got a roller block.

As far as the distributor gear question...a non-roller motor uses a steel or iron gear but a roller motor uses a softer bronze gear. Is that correct?
That is not correct. A production roller motor uses a steel gear. A non-roller uses a cast iron gear. An non-roller engine w/ a aftermarket billet roller cam HAS to use a bronze gear.