Is my stock T-5 going to blow?

2Tone5.0

Oct 11, 2007
Philadelphia
92 5.0 GT

331 DSS pro bullit shortblock, Trick Flow headers, Trick Flow Intake, Vortech V-1, Strim, (14PSI?) polyurathane mounts

Bullet proof LSD, 31 spline, 4.10's

going to get it dyno tuned soon. The stock t-5 is still on but it only has around 6k miles on it. Are there any good rebuilt kits? should i just buy a whole new trans?

• Sponsors (?)

Hmmm.. Is it going to blow. Let's see... YES! lol

My car is lightly modded and I'm going on my 3rd. Do a search on busted T5, you'll find dozens on Stangnet

Drive it like you stole it, blow that bastard up and put a 3550 or a 600 in it and be done. You'll put twice as much into building the T-5 multiple times as just buying the better trans. My 100K World Class T-5 is behind a stout little 302 and I know its gonna give one day, thats why Im already shopping a different one.

Ooh, this sounds like fun. It's going to be a race to see if the tranny breaks first or the block. I broke 3rd gear in my t5 behind a stock motor. I went with an Astro Performance A5 gearset with 26 spline input shaft for my t5. I prefer the t5 because it's compact, much lighter than a tremec, shifts really smooth, and there are no conversion mods necessary other than a clutch. Same bellhousing, ds yoke, crossmember, shifter, etc. I purchased the gearset and input shaft, a pretty serious clutch, a heavy duty bearing retainer, bearings and syncros from Astro for $1600 shipped. This build is about the same strength as a tko600. All said and done it cost less than a tko600 itself, nevermind with all the conversion stuff. I did save some money by rebuilding it myself though.
As far as the block, you might want to keep it at a lot less than 14psi if you want it to hold tegether. If by "Trick Flow headers" you mean Trick Flow heads, You will probably be approaching 600rwhp with that combo @ 14psi with a good tune, and a stock block will not take that for long. I know, it's a d.s.s. block, but that's just a production block with their so called "race" prep.

i was on the phone with the people at dss. i have the dss pro bullet 20 rated meant to support over 650rwhp. they said it should handle up to 28psi. but i wont being going near that for obvious reasons. A. They are most likely liars and B. I want the car to still be streetable.

I just pulled my 306 motor out. stock block bored out .30 over. edelbrock performer heads. f-303 cam. Keith Black hyperutectic aluminum pistons (dished), cobra intake. 9.5-1 compression. 7psi with the vortech.

It had massive cyclinder blowbye thats why i invested in the dss. it was able to put down 350 rwhp and 360 tourque.

The T-5 Performed good maybe because it was still under 10k. I guess ill take it out and sell it rather than just it blow it up and then replace it with the TKO600

i was on the phone with the people at dss. i have the dss pro bullet 20 rated meant to support over 650rwhp. they said it should handle up to 28psi. but i wont being going near that for obvious reasons. A. They are most likely liars and B. I want the car to still be streetable.

I just pulled my 306 motor out. stock block bored out .30 over. edelbrock performer heads. f-303 cam. Keith Black hyperutectic aluminum cyclinder headers (dished), cobra intake. 9.5-1 compression. 7psi with the vortech.

It had massive cyclinder blowbye thats why i invested in the dss. it was able to put down 350 rwhp and 360 tourque.

The T-5 Performed good maybe because it was still under 10k. I guess ill take it out and sell it rather than just it blow it up and then replace it with the TKO600

A stock block is a stock block. Iam guessing it has a girdle that will hopefully help with not destroying everything. So thats going to break, cant say when but it will and the T5 will also. Pretty sure the T5 will go first though.

if you dont powershift or short shift, what could possible break? If I recall hearing of people blowing their T5s, it was because they shifted it rather harshly

very true, i didnt powershift mine(the previous owner of the trans probably did though), i ran it 30+ passes in 2 days at the track, and finally missed 3rd, or half-shifted where it was kinda in gear kinda not, doing a burnout up a wet hill and BOOM clank clank clank clank all the way home. Turns out if was a 4cyl trans though so all in all i'm impressed with how much abuse the 4cyl trans took, too many people call them junk

well a good t5 will last just about as long as you would like it to lol, i have purchased a z spec from a place called campbell geartech out here in nc and it has been working great it has about 70 passes on it now and its backing my 11.1 comp 347 with a 125 shot of spray and on slicks my car cuts some 1.36 60 foots so i still belive that a t5 will last if they are built rite.