is off-road x-pipe worth it?

sams66

Founding Member
Jan 25, 2002
near toledo, oh
I was hoping to put on a off-road x-pipe, but reading these threads for the last couple weeks, this is what I have seen: they leak, chance of fitting right doesnt seem good, that you lose power, smog equipment makes noise after taking off catted pipe, on and on. do you have to disconnect the smog equip? cant seem to find alot of benefits to putting one on.

I have basic mods on my 95 vert, magnaflow, bbk shorties, bbk CAI, 3.73 FMS gears, was likely going with magnaflow or bbk x-pipe.

thanks guys

Sam

• Sponsors (?)

whenever you make air flow more you will lose torque but gain more in hp than you lose in torque. By you sayin you lose power is not true. There are 4 cats on the stock H, just think of how restrictive that is, why would you lose power? As long as you get a BBK X i dont forsee a fitting problem.

Well i got a mac o/r h pipe and i love it. the sound and performance are great. if anything i can notice a difference in torque.....and thats in a positive way :nice:. i have no problems with mine, knock on wood, and i believe that youll like yours if you decide to get one, which strongly suggest you do. Especially with those headers.

-Drew

i wouldnt trade my Bassani O/R Xfor anything....except for maybe a MAC prochamber.....the fitment was MINT....way perfect...no modifications, no leaking no nothing....makes the car sound so sick....and saves weight too :nice: the stock catted H weighs a TON compared to my bassani o/r x....and no my smog stuff doesnt make any noise.....id say as long as you dont have to worry about inspections then do it.....O/R pipes are usually cheaper too....

Anthony

well, the sound is nice on an O/R, it can be too loud.. meaning, around my area, cops don't like it when I come home at 1am, and it's freaking loud!... but it's no prob really... and they will save you about $200 over a catted pipe...

-just go on ebay... $100 for a MAC... like sever ending every day... if it doesn't quite fit perfectly, bend it!

-oh, and seriously, go w/ an H, not X pipe...

What you think the x-pipe doesn't balance the flow. Its all about SCAVAGING the exhaust not balancing it. The quicker the exhaust can get rid of the exhaust the more power the motor can make. I guess all those guys in the NMRA dont know what they are doing................. :shrug:

Its a fact that the x-pipe makes better power than any h-pipe on the market. My custom x-pipe is about as far from TINGING as you could possibly get.

I have a Custom O/R x-pipe, Mac longtubes, Dynomax Bullet racemufflers with dumps.

Its the nastiest,fullest,deepest sounding exhaust Ive ever heard. It sends chills up my spine. Sounds better than any h-pipe ever thought of sounding.
Go to the track and look under any fast drag strip mustang and 10 chances to 1 you will see a x-pipe.

Now the prochamber sounds awsome also and they make good power also. You can have your popping h-pipe all to yourself. :D

viperos said:
H pipe balances out the flow, so you don't have that problem... and the H is the classic mustang sound, whereas the X is more of a "tinny" noise... more commonly found on 4-6 cylinder...
exhaust isnt about balanced flow...its all about flow....and the x flows better...grandted the prochamber makes the most power of any mid pipe (which is truly a mix of the 2 designs....

and BTW give those a listen to...can you honestly tell me that my car sounds tinny like a 4 or 6 cylinder???

http://www.mustangexhaust.com/sounds/Bassani,BassaniX,Bassani1,GT.mp3
http://www.mustangexhaust.com/sounds/Bassani,BassaniX,Bassani2,GT.mp3
http://www.mustangexhaust.com/sounds/Bassani,BassaniX,Bassani2,GT.mp3

Anthony

viperos said:
H pipe balances out the flow, so you don't have that problem... and the H is the classic mustang sound, whereas the X is more of a "tinny" noise... more commonly found on 4-6 cylinder...

We are starting to gang up on ya now. You'll see the difference when you decide to get rid of that h-pipe. The x-pipe sounds better and it scavenges more exhaust than the H. Sorry bro the h-pipe is :notnice: