Fox Is possible to get a driver quality fox anymore?

You should do some better pictures. Still a great car with low miles, and very stock. You do have a little to think about like how much should I drive this thing
I will definitely try to get some better pictures. Overall the paint is in great condition. I really want some outside pictures, but it's winter here.

I expect the car will only get driven a handful of times a month. Probably only for 30-45 minutes each time. Luckily, I have other cars I can drive. I should drive my 90 coupe a lot more. Nothing on it is stock though.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm sorta stunned somebody ready to pony-up 10-12k can't find a nice driver to take home almost immediately. I spent $2,500 and put in another $1,500 or so, and made a nice driver out of a convertible a couple years back. I know the market has changed, but that much?

Maybe the OP is pulling our legs. These prices aren't making me want to start driving around with cash, as I'm sure some of you know I'm apt to do on a whim, but in the posted 10-12k price range for a driver to wrench on.... Seems to be plenty of decent candidates in this part of the country:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/962031791363359/ $10k
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/451906583172331/ $9k
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4409130289213983/ $15k (maybe very negotiable)
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/453297119705389/ $13k
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4512028142228325/ $11.9k
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/983329272541910/ $8.5k
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/511819860010607/ $9k
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/620737425914818/ $12k
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/915940629330423/ $12k

With the exception of the R's and the Cobras, they made so many that I doubt these cars will be worth a fortune in our lifetimes. You'll always be able to rebuild a junker and make it into a beauty for less than paying someone a fortune. Maybe you can't get a really nice one under 8-10 anymore, but a driver to wrench on? The prospects still look good.

Randomly i look through foxbodys ads.
I am of the belief that the foxbody is the most butchered vehicle in history.

Maybe the only way to buy one of these that hasn't been tortured is to buy a saleen or a cobra with a high price tag.
I mean, you can't buy a 10k car that needs paint, because instantly it becomes a 20k car.

Last edited:

Maybe the only way to buy one of these that hasn't been tortured is to buy a saleen or a cobra with a high price tag.
I mean, you can't buy a 10k car that needs paint, because instantly it becomes a 20k car.
In my neck of the woods if your looking for a well kept Fox that hasn’t been hacked up you need to buy an AOD.
All the 5 speeds are a total wreck and complete abortions. Even the ones that “look nice” are something else under the hood. It’s a Rare find for a 5 speed in good shape and if so your gonna pay a premium. All the AODs I see are clean and stock and very fairly priced. Nobody wanted them back in the day and the ones that did certainly didn’t run them to the ground.
That’s been my experience when I was looking and when I still see some pop up for sale around here. Everyone thinks they have gold in this area. It’s all artificial if you ask me. Word spreads that the Fox is expensive now and people buy into that hype and Jack up the price thinking they have something great but we all know, well us reasonable people know, the fox is not a classic collectible. They are fun cars and we love them for what they are but it ain’t no 57 Chevy, Superbird, GTX, 69 charger, etc.
One rare special one may have sold on Barrett Jackson for 6 figures but that’s not what 99.9% of us own.

That’s true of any car though. When they are brand new, and expensive, folks tend to leave them as is, or mos them with high quality parts.

As their value depreciates and they fall into the hands of 3rd and 4th owners and beyond, folks have less and less invested into them and therefore don’t care for them as well, or modify them in a way that retains value.

I also think youth plays a role. When I was young I wanted to modify my car in ways that would make me smack my younger self now.

But I agree with you.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not on Facebook so I don’t see those deals haha. I looked through today with a friends phone and saw a few nice ones. Also though about a TKO swap on an AOD.

Is that as terrible as a 4 cylinder to V8 or is that looked on a little more favorably?

You have to love these guys who put their "coupes" which are actually hatchbacks up on FB and ask 12-15k but have TWO pictures, and ZERO details in their ad. And it is usually ended with the sentence "No lowball offers please" :confused:

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I’m not on Facebook so I don’t see those deals haha. I looked through today with a friends phone and saw a few nice ones. Also though about a TKO swap on an AOD.

Is that as terrible as a 4 cylinder to V8 or is that looked on a little more favorably?

Depends on how it’s done. IMHO there’s a correct way to 5-spd swap a car and there’s a quick-and-dirty way.

Correct way involved correct hardware and parts, changing the trans wiring to make everything functional and changing the ECU to a manual ECU and correcting the wiring for this. Also, adding the trans tunnel himp correct for a 5-spd is something that’s often overlooked, but allows the inner shift seal to correctly be fastened to the runner vs drilling holes and “making it work”

Really what it comes down to is quality and pride in your work. These cars are heavily modded are this point and the skill level of each person will vary. Some guys are meticulously and will spend the extra time/money to do things right. That’s what makes the difference between the 7-8k cars and the $12-15k cars.

"...possible to get a driver quality..."

most are comming in (prime prices) as the buying public's demographics fit. I think the '60s muscle' has dropped a bit. Along w/this model same same aged (30 - 40 y/o) some Jap come in. My dad's age? '30s/40s classics were in the same bell curved price climb/drop.

So I regretfully had to sell my fox prior to getting divorced, now I’m in the hunt for another one and I kinda feel like the prices are a little nutty.

Is it possible to get a DD quality fox (hatch/coupe) V8/5spd for 10-12k?

There’s a red 85 hatch manual for sale but they want 26k… if this is simply the market then I guess I gotta keep stacking.

I’m not talking about perfect paint and low miles but just something I wouldn’t my driving and wrenching on.
Try looking on OfferUp in California. If you have IG, look for Stangs R Us. You can win a STang for 100 bucks if you are lucky. Fred is honest and will go live with the raffles.

I got lucky and found a 1991 Mustang Convertible. I'm rebuilding a 1991 Ford Mustang LX convertible. Hoping to complete it here by summer 2022. The car has no rust at all, 100% with 89,000 orginal miles. It was original until I started on it. The car belonged to an old man who passed away and I bought it from a young kid who never took care of it. The car was in really bad shape. Right now I have put about 14k into the car and counting. The entire emission has been redone, AC and heater system is new, Bigger radiator, stock fan, new front and rear suspension, new front and rear/up control arms. New gas tank, new front, and rear lights. The entire inside is new...... Here are some pics of the car.

So, yes there are deals out there. As as mentioned, check OfferUp in California area. There are a lot of Foxes in the Bay area/ Fresno area.

Now my problem is looking for a hood, front bumper cover, and all the insert, plus a convertible top, and door panels.

Attachments

• car 5.jpg
    car 5.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 48
  • rims3.jpg
    rims3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 49
  • rims.jpg
    rims.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 45
  • rear4.jpg
    rear4.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 42
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 40
  • rear3.jpg
    rear3.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 43
  • seats.jpg
    seats.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 1991 Mustang LX.jpg
    1991 Mustang LX.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 43
87' LX hatch 5 speed, opinions? thinking of offering $7,000.

That offer doesn't sound unreasonable (though i would wait until i see it to make an offer)
Description makes it sound pretty nice, but it wouldn't be the first time someone stretched the truth.
If you are far away, ask for some real pics, he must think his car is in a fashion show with all the angled pics. Makes it seem staged.
The mileage sounds a little too good to be true. What happened to the factory seats with 73,000 miles? Original headlights and tail lights?
The trans situation will like cost a bit to fix too.

I'd take 73,000 miles with a grain of salt.

I tried to do a carfax on the VIN but couldn't do it without paying. Someone might have an account. It came up as 18 records. Of course, those could be change of owners and inspections, in which mileage might be recorded. But it would let you know it's it's a 73000 mile car or a 173000 miles car

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users