Is TCI the only torque converter for a II?

• Sponsors (?)

I had one in my fastback years ago (1984 or so). It was not too bad. You really have to work it to get the 3000 stall speed. It acted more like a 2000 stall speed. Not sure if TCI changed anything since then, but they were pretty rugged back then.

I have another converter installed now, but I can't remember who made it or what the specs are. If I can locate the work order, I'll see if it is written down.

I spoke to my big, big boss at my work (an avid drag racer for longer then I have been alive). He said to fill out a custom order form with TCI and they could take a little bit of bite out of the Streetfighter (if necessary). I always plan one modification ahead. The next step for the Mach is a total cooling system up-grade. Getting a aluminum rad, Edelbrock water pump and a march Fox 5.0l style accessory drive and alternator.

FORD SMALL BLOCK SERPENTINE BRACKETS

Mine will be all black because I am cheap and I don't like chrome:D

Most companies can make a special converter to your specs, for a little extra $$$. I've ran no name $120 converters in my II, a TCI unit ( really no different that stock) it all depends on how good of a converter you want. Currently I'm running an Edge converter Edge Racing Converters, More Horsepower with More Torque Guaranteed! it picked up both 60ft, and mph at the strip, and commutes around town with no issues at all. It's not a cheap unit though, at $550, but I've taken my share of converters out.

I got a 2500 stall thru Art-Carr and have not had any problems with it in the 5 years I've had it.

Do you know if, and by how much it improved your 60' or quarter mile times?
Also how do you find it on the street?

My buddy races alot and he told me to slow down to 15MPH in drive (I can because I have a manual valve body) and then punch it. The RPM it reaches before the car starts to move is the true stall speed. I had a guide to Ford torque converter stall speeds. I picked a stall converter that stalled at 1800RPM with a 4cyl. I need to try my friends little trick to see where it is really stallin'.

My car has a E303 cam. 220 duration intake, and exhaust @0.050" lobe lift. It has Edelbrock heads with 1.90 / 1.60 valves 60cc chambers. The bottom end is a stock 1991 H.O 5.0L 0.60" over. The car is running a C4 with stock ratios and 3.55 gears with a 25.6" tall tire. I have not weighed the car, but I figure it weights about 3100 lbs with me in it. The cam is said to make max torque at 2500 RPM and max HP @ 5500RPM. I have a 100hp Edelbrock nitrous kit too, but I don't use it in first gear (chicken). So I was thinking of getting a 2500RPM stall converter. What do you dudes think?:shrug:

I put the converter in when I installed the stock 88 roller motor with a c4 and was running around 2.2 60' time with a best of 13.9 in the 1/4. But since the motor has been rebuilt using AFR 165 heads, 9.75.1 compression and a custom cam by Jay Allen (Camshaft Innovation) my best 60' is 1.78 and 12.5 in the 1/4 and that was with some bad timing issues. I also run 3.8 gears and 26.1" MT drag radials and weigh around 3300 lbs. Didn't get a chance to run this year due to the flood of 2008 and needed to get another home. Next year I hope to get in the low 12s or high 11s. I drive it on nice days to work and to have fun with the chevy boys. It seems well mannered and the tranny does not overheat when driving around town.

With a no named converter my 60 ft times were in the high 1.5s. With my new one, high 1.4s with a best of 1.47 and usually around 1.50, and mph went up by about 1.5mph. Never tested with the TCI unit, I think I may have got a bad one because I could only foot brake it to about 1400rpm.