is the 70 the hardest for parts ?

'68StangGT

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
Haslett, MI
I told my Uncle (who has been restoring cars for years that I'm still on the hunt for a nice 70 Mach 1 -

mentioned to me that in his experience - the 70 is the hardest to find parts for since that particular body style is pretty much not real interchangeable with other models

Has anyone had problems finding parts that are 70 specific ?

• Sponsors (?)

70 Mustang stuff

[QUOTE='68StangGT]I told my Uncle (who has been restoring cars for years that I'm still on the hunt for a nice 70 Mach 1 -

mentioned to me that in his experience - the 70 is the hardest to find parts for since that particular body style is pretty much not real interchangeable with other models

Has anyone had problems finding parts that are 70 specific ?[/QUOTE]

No problem finding parts for a 70 Mustang unless your looking for Shelby, BOSS 302 or 429 unique parts.

Not even close!! There are plenty of parts available for the '70, but not as much as the earlier years yet. The '71-'73 body style is BY FAR the hardest vintage car to locate parts for. Most of the trim and interior items can only be had via a junkyard whereas the '70 has quite a few parts available through the parts catalogs.
Good luck all the same in your search, but don't worry about finding parts for that model one bit.

You can get lots of stuff, but mostly used and NOS. Some stuff is being reproduced, but stuff is certainly not as available as parts for earlier cars yet. It is getting better all the time... In fact, this past year showed the biggest growth of repro parts for '69-'70s.

One other thing... parts tend to be a bit pricier than earlier cars too, even repro parts. This is something to keep in mind when deciding on a car to restore. Remember, many/most parts (especially body panels), body work, resto work basically cost the same whether its a Boss, a Mach, or a "lowly" 6 cyl coupe. This is where it can be more advantageous to start with a car that has higher investment/return value. Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck. :nice:

71resto said:
Not even close!! There are plenty of parts available for the '70, but not as much as the earlier years yet. The '71-'73 body style is BY FAR the hardest vintage car to locate parts for. Most of the trim and interior items can only be had via a junkyard whereas the '70 has quite a few parts available through the parts catalogs.
Good luck all the same in your search, but don't worry about finding parts for that model one bit.

actually speaking from experience, the '69 model is the hardest to find parts for cuz it is the only mustang that has its own body style. yes it is similar to the '70 model, but not alot of the stuff is interchangeable, and also if you do find stuff in a catalog for the '69 it is the most expensive of the classic mustangs for parts. just my three cents.

69stang351 said:
actually speaking from experience, the '69 model is the hardest to find parts for cuz it is the only mustang that has its own body style. yes it is similar to the '70 model, but not alot of the stuff is interchangeable, and also if you do find stuff in a catalog for the '69 it is the most expensive of the classic mustangs for parts. just my three cents.

The '69 is no more unique than the '70. You are over rating the minor body changes.
What about the '70 only brakes?

69stang351 said:
Here's my version of this statement:

actually speaking from experience, the '70 model is the hardest to find parts for cuz it is the only mustang that has its own body style. yes it is similar to the '69 model, but not alot of the stuff is interchangeable, and also if you do find stuff in a catalog for the '70 it is the most expensive of the classic mustangs for parts. just my three cents.

:jester:

BTW, there were more '69s built than '70s, which should mean there should be a larger supply of used parts. And remember, for every unique '69 part, there is a unique '70 part. Tit for tat... :shrug: