Is the catalytic converter heat shield important?

ronstang94

May 10, 2007
Phx, AZ
a shop, drove my car onto a lift and one of the heat shields on my new cats got ripped off. (this is exactly why I refuse to let a shop work on my car, but I didnt have a choice this time). They will pay for a new heat shield or a whole new cat and installation if necesary, but is the heat shield even important. I thought that it helped the cat heat up, by keeping the heat in, but some people have told me that its just to protect the floor of the vehicle from getting too hot and has no other importance. Is it important?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm with David. They are important. Cats have set interiors on fire, and grass under cars has caught fire due to cats.

They serve a purpose, but you can do without them. My previous GT's started to rattle so I ripped them off. Same with my DD Honda. I never noticed heat and I don't usually park on leaf piles. I've gone a couple years without them, no big deal at all. I don't even know if aftermarket midpipes have them. If you can get them replaced for free, quick and easy, go ahead. If not, you will be fine without them.