Is the clutch pack moan/rubbing TSB fix really necessary?

laserred

Sep 7, 2004
Alot of people are having the clutch pack moan/rubbing issue. Just wondering if the clutch pack moan/rub is really hurting anything in the rearend? Some people who have had the TSB fix have had the moan come back soon after it was fixed! Is the clutch pack moan really more of a noise/irritating issue than anything? I dont want to have my rearend yanked out if it is really not hurting anything. I really dont mind the noise if i know that it is not hurting my rearend in any way.

• Sponsors (?)

I've had it for about the past 2000 miles (have 5,600 on the ODO right now)...I won't bring it in unless it gets really loud...like yourself I've heard that the fix is temporary and why risk having them rip eveything apart and then hopefully put it back together properly...give it some time and when you can't stand it any longer than get the fix.

as you well know there is a volume of stuff written on this. IMO: if the noise bothers you at all, get some friction modifier, take the plug out of the pumpkin, sqirt it in, put the plug back in, and go!!!! i did it and no more moaning. no big deal. . . so far.

I had it fixed twice. Now moan is back. I bought some Ford Friction Modifier and add 1/2 a bottle. There is a vent on the axle tube take a 9/16" Socket wrench and pour it in there. Drive the car in figure eights for a while to let all the lube wear it self in. And wala after a couple of days moan is gone.

My dealership told me the best fix is to add an extra bottle of friction modifier. They said that replacing the clutch packs didn't always fix it. We added a bottle of modifier and that fixed it.

Yeah, I talked to a buddy of mine,who is a ford mechanic at our ford dealership. He told me that the TSB was basically a noise issue(friction material on clutchpacks are too thick) and that it is not hurting anything at all,other than being annoying to the ears. He said to be careful not to add to much friction modifier because it will make the clutchpacks too slick and the LSD will not function like you want it. He said that 1/2 bottle is plenty and no more than that. He also stated that even if you dont get the TSB fix or add more modifier that there is nothing to worry about and the rearend will still function properly. He also told me that the LSD is actually gripping better because of the extra friction material and if the noise doesn't bother you then you will be best to leave it alone and let it moan. He has a mustang also and his moans and he said that he is not going to mess with his at all. Do any of you agree with this or is he feeding me a bunch of bullS***. He is one of the best mechanics i know so i usually trust his word.

Yeah, I talked to a buddy of mine,who is a ford mechanic at our ford dealership. He told me that the TSB was basically a noise issue(friction material on clutchpacks are too thick) and that it is not hurting anything at all,other than being annoying to the ears. He said to be careful not to add to much friction modifier because it will make the clutchpacks too slick and the LSD will not function like you want it. He said that 1/2 bottle is plenty and no more than that. He also stated that even if you dont get the TSB fix or add more modifier that there is nothing to worry about and the rearend will still function properly. He also told me that the LSD is actually gripping better because of the extra friction material and if the noise doesn't bother you then you will be best to leave it alone and let it moan. He has a mustang also and his moans and he said that he is not going to mess with his at all. Do any of you agree with this or is he feeding me a bunch of bullS***. He is one of the best mechanics i know so i usually trust his word.

your friend is 100 percent correct.. if you use too much friction modifier you will soon be a peg leg or close to one.

Every decent mechanic I know including myself that has had moaning issues in 8.8 LSD leaves it alone..

In fact I strongly suggest to any of my mustang customers interested at all in performance that they leave it alone and live with the moan. In fact if it does moan you will have good limited slip action.

yeah, I think i going to leave mine alone and just live with the noise. Now knowing that my rearend actually works too good kinda makes me feel better.
Thanks to svttech for your input!.

bad, mojopony, but funny!

My 07 GT had the low speed diff noise, so while our shop was fixing it I handed them some brand new FRPP 4.10 gears and had them installed while the diff was already being done under warranty. That greatly reduced the labor I had to pay for to get my gears swapped.

Hi guys, I have an 07 GT 5spd and I'm getting a weird noise that seems to only happen at low rpm when shifting and under load. Is this the problem you guys are talking about. I'm sorry that might be a retarded question but I think thats what were talking about. Also, what is friction modifyer and where do I get it and how do I use it. Thanks in advance gals and gents.