Is the crack fixable?

Below, the wider photo has a circle the shows the area of the tighter photo of the crack in question. I was going to replace the head(s) bit my son and I found another car we are going to move onto I think. This is a GT40P head that I was going to scrap but I’ve seen talk that some cracks are repairable depending on their location. Hate to dump a lot of extra money into car if we decide to move on but want to get the car running. Input???
40D268BD-BB47-4810-A0CB-AC4575B473D8.jpeg
CE7F848B-16C7-4139-BD8F-BE9D77A33236.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

Is that really a crack? Hard to tell in the photo. Whether it is repairable or not, I would say that you could replace the P head cheaper than you could fix it.

Joe

Last edited:
spray wd40 on it and let it soak for a day, then wipe away the the excess and from the back heat it with a heat gun etc. If theres a crack you'll see the oil creep out of the crack. its not scientific like magnaflux but its worked in the past for me.

Reactions: 2 users
So I decided to get down to as bare metal as I could and I blasted it with baking soda. I’m no pro but I’m having a hard time seeing much of anything. I circled the area in question again, fire away with opinions!

I’m not sure if I soaked it with wd40 I could back heat it effectively. I’m adding a pic of the bottom side as well. There is a water/coolant port (I assume) there. I’ve shined a light as best I can into it but can’t see anything the resembles a crack.
4F1152DF-2296-4AD2-9964-31FCDF88ABFA.jpeg
F2CE47E4-DF46-4C15-99B3-352604263821.jpeg
3BB78F7D-0361-42D0-9EFA-EBFC1D66F6F0.jpeg

If it's really cracked it'd hold water there and rust. Any chance spraying that nice bare metal with water would get it to rust in a few days where you live. you could then lightly sand the surface rust away have a line of rust in the crack assuming there is one? Never done it, just a thought.