Is the Explorer block and Mustang block the same?

• Sponsors (?)

If you can get a good 2000 explorer engine, for a decent price, i would take it. The block and the piston travel are the same, not sure if it has the 93 pistons or not.
But the prices at least by me, are significantly more for a used explorer motor. Also keep in mind, you'll need the entire accessory setup from an 87-93.

2000xp8 said:
If you can get a good 2000 explorer engine, for a decent price, i would take it. The block and the piston travel are the same, not sure if it has the 93 pistons or not.
But the prices at least by me, are significantly more for a used explorer motor. Also keep in mind, you'll need the entire accessory setup from an 87-93.
Oh kool becaues i have the entire engine with the Gt40p heads too and i want to swap out the Cam in it and wasnt sure if i would have any problems with the valves hitting the pistons

People use e cams in explorers all the time. I'd use 1.7 rockers with it, but you'll need to change the valve springs. They can't handle that much lift, they may not even be able to take it with 1.6 rr's.

When you swap the cam, relace the gear on the distributor or get a distributor from a roller cam engine. The Explorer used a cast iron flat tappet cam and a cast iron distributor gear. The roller cams are steel and use a steel distributor gear.

jrichker said:
When you swap the cam, relace the gear on the distributor or get a distributor from a roller cam engine. The Explorer used a cast iron flat tappet cam and a cast iron distributor gear. The roller cams are steel and use a steel distributor gear.
Oh good point! Ive recently bought a distributor for a 88 GT which i think it has the steel gear, ( i remember it was brought up at the auto parts store) I am almost positive it was steel.

The explorer, does not have a distributer. And the factory explorer cam specs are different from a mustang. (worse).

Here's a pic of the engine on my explorer, you can see the coil pack on the side of the supercharger. Don't be mistaken, this engine is a 5.0 .
307357_16_full.jpg