Is the motor in my 1967 a earlier 302 or later 5.0 style?

dkblk67

Jul 14, 2005
Norfolk, NY
There was a higher hp motor transplanted into my Mustang and the year of the block I remember being told was I guess the cut off year when they started calling them 5.0s or something.I think the year of the block is 1982 or 1983.Anyways if I remember right it depends mostly on the dipstick location right?The dipstick is on the front of the block on this motor.Can someone please tell me if it is considered the 5.0 or the 302?Also while on topic what were the differences?

Thanks All,
Ron

• Sponsors (?)

The dipstick in the older 302's are in the front timing chain cover. The fox bodys 79-93 have one in the drivers side next to the valve cover, because of the double sump oil pan. the 5.0's and the 302 are the exact same just a different way of saying 302 cubic inches, or 5.0 liters like a new motor 281 or 4.6 hope this helps

Ok so I guess I have the older one then.Thanks for clearing that up for me.The only reason I thought there would be a big difference is like in Summit and Jegs catalogs they divide the years sometimes with a different part number.

Thanks,
Ron

I think its plenty strong enough.I was thinking about tearing down the engine and rebuilding it but I would probally mess something up and then it wouldnt make the trans rumble side to side how I like it.lol.

Thanks,
Ron

You do need to find out what year the engine is before tearing into it. The later 5.0s used the 351 firing order, roller lifters, reverse rotation water pump, hardened dizzy gear and forged pistons up until '93. There are reasons they show different part numbers for the 302 vs. the 5.0.

Scorcher2005 said:
wouldnt that suggest you need some new eninge and/or tranny mounts?

Could be but oh well.I dont think so though I think it only does it when the motor is just turning over.

So does anyone know how and where to find out what year block this is?

Thanks again,
Ron

Remove the starter and you'll find a pad on the oil pan rail edge that has the casting numbers... 1st digit c=60's d=70's e=80's f=90's, 2nd digit is the year, 3rd is model type (rather general for passenger cars, T=truck), 4th is the part type E being engine... the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th is the part descriptor (6015=block, 6049=head and so on), the 9th digit is the revision number. Here's an example... D9AE-6015-A means 1979 passenger car engine block 1st revision.
You'll find numbers similar to these all over the engine parts. In the lifter valley of the block you'll find in addition to this number, a 3 digit code which is the actual casting date: day, month, and year.

So you know, there are differences in the internals between the "302's" and "5.0's". From '68 to late '77 the 302 engine used a 28oz. offset balance, '78 thru '81 early '82 non H.O. engines used a 35oz. offset balance. From mid '82 thru '94, the 5.0's had a 50oz. offset balance shared with the big brother 351W/5.8L engines. All 5.0L H.O. designated engines in stock trim shared the same firing order as the 351W/5.8L . From '78 to '81 a lot of 5.0's installed in FOX chassis with rear sump pans, had the dipstick on the driver's side going into the oil pan, with '82 and up on the driver's side going into the block. Yours being in the front could easily be accomlished by changing to an earlier production timing cover for the front sump oil pan.