Is there a big difference in SQ for Sub Sizes? 10, 12, 15, and 15+

dkhl

Aug 22, 2004
I want to go with the best sounding quality, with loudness being second. I was thinkign of going 4 Subwoofers eventually, but starting off with two really high end subs, which I've skimped out on a lot of things to buy ;) Are there any big differences between the sizes?

I'm liking the MTX Thunder 9500 which have 1000 RMS rating each, would this drown out all my high and mids? The high and mids are going to be amped as well so..

Anyways, my last question is is 4000 RMS too much and unreaslistic? I may add 2 more eventually to the two Thunder 9500's I'm buying.

• Sponsors (?)

i personally think 12's are more versatile. 4000 rms is ALOT of sound my friend. is this for a daily driver? ive been out of the sound game for a while, but for a daily driver, you could check into a single 12" Brahma, a 12" XXX, a 12" ID Max, or a w7. these are monster subs that are pretty efficient and are of outstanding quality. they are priced in the 375-450 range. give your sub 1100-1500 rms and dont skimp on the box. if you cant build one yourself, find a PRO and have him build you a nice slot ported box that is made specifically to the perameters of your sub. a good box can make a bad sub sound decent, a good sub in a bad box is *****. i dont know your background experience with the audio world, i am no pro but have heard the aforementioned subs with the power i stated running them. they were all single sub setups and when i tell you they all SLAMMED, i am not exaggerating. i HAD 2 jl 10w3's in a good (pro made, not prefab) sealed box and was giving them 400 rms each.
i thought my ***** sounded pretty good UNTIL i heard those other setups. there is no comparing the two. this was just my personal opinion based on personal observations.

in one of my post i recommended boston acoustic g5 and Diamond audio tdx subs. I would also recommend jbl gti subs. IMO, i think that 4000 rms is a bit much but then again what r you planning on doing with your system(competition?) One thing you have to remember is that the mtx 9500 needs quite a bit of space as well as jl w7s. i think for 10w7, its like 1.25cu sealed and the 10 in 9500 is .8cu ft.

just my .02 :nice:

I know 4000 RMS quite a bit, but it's something I really don't mind doing.. it'll rpbably change as I get more advice..

And nobody has naswered my main question, is there a diff in Sound Quality between the diff sub sizes? I don't mind running 4 10's and losing out on overall loudness if it means they sound the best.

O.K. correct me if I'm wrong, but... did you come up with the 4000W RMS rating by multiplying 1000 watts per sub by 4? Because RMS has to do with amplifier output and speaker maximum input. And then there's continuous RMS (true) vs. peak RMS (very highly exaggerated). So what the subs can potentially handle for input has much more to do with what the amps can produce, continuously, for output, and absolutely nothing to do with sound volume, distorted or otherwise. Your post made it look like you plan to pump through 4000W, which I doubt (would be nice, tho).
That said, quality 10" subs in sealed boxes, appropriately powered, would sound very good, in ported boxes very good and loud; 12" subs in sealed boxes, appropriately powered, would sound very good, in ported boxes very good and very loud; 15" subs, IMO, are just too much for a car, since you rarely find them even in the best home audio systems. IMO

An aspect of this system that I need to know is are you using this for competition?
This will drastically affect any advice I give out. Please tell me if this is for personal/daily driver use or for competition use.
Whatever you want we can hook you up, but I gotta know.

Foreigner said:
An aspect of this system that I need to know is are you using this for competition?
This will drastically affect any advice I give out. Please tell me if this is for personal/daily driver use or for competition use.
Whatever you want we can hook you up, but I gotta know.

i have to agree with Foreigner. Before we can help you, we need to know what ur planning on doing with ur system. But yes, there is a difference in SQ with diff sub sizes depending on the sub model itself.

This is mainly going to be used for my personal use, although I did have an initiative to get something better than anybody else I know.

I want sound quality over loudness anyday, obviously. I might go with 10's, bt at this point I'm looking into high-end aftermarket 12's.

I run 1-12 with a 400w amp and it kicks but. the package tray will move up and down about an inch with it cranked. I have a IDQ12 a very good SQ sub. There are alot of SQ subs out there that they dont sell in the regular stereo stores. Check out elitecaraudio.com and ask in the forums.

have you ever heard an mtx 9500? you are talking about 2-4 12's in your mustang, a guy I know has ONE in a sledgehammer box in a navigator, and my friend has 2 in a custom box in his suburban, both are more than loud enough, and you have a fraction of the airspace. they play loud but havent heard their sq