Is there a market for used gears?

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
I have an 8.8 that I keep tripping over, and I want to get rid of it. It has FMS 3:73 gears. Is it worth my time to pull the gears and try to sell them or do people generally not want to mess with used gears? I doubt I could sell the entire rear end as the market here for that kind of stuff is dead, plus it has no brakes. The reason I was thinking of pulling the gears and selling is they fit in the USPS flat rate box so I could sell them to the people in that crazy "lower 48" area. :D Worth the effort, or just junk it?

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

I *think* people try to avoid used gears. But I feel if they are in physically good shape they should install just fine.

If they are a popular ratio they will sell well and for a good price. I’ve actually seen used 2.73s sell on eBay. Used gears selling for about $50-100 plus ship depending on ratio

I bought a set of used 3.27s with 40k miles for $25 a while back

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If it's a mustang 8.8 rear end you should be able to sell the whole thing. Brakes aren't important because people will change them anyway. Around here a mustang rear goes for between 200 and 350 bucks. With 373 gears it would be at the higher end of the scale.

If it's a mustang 8.8 rear end you should be able to sell the whole thing. Brakes aren't important because people will change them anyway. Around here a mustang rear goes for between 200 and 350 bucks. With 373 gears it would be at the higher end of the scale.

I wish....but that won't happen here. I have a garage full, and I mean full of foxbody parts. My supply FAR outweighs any demand.

• Surprised