Fox Is there a way to identify Kenne bell supercharger?

James V

5 Year Member
Feb 26, 2017
Connecticut
Hey guys. Just bought this KB supercharger for my fox. The seller said it was a 2.1 but I noticed the 1.5 and 2.1 look very similar. Anyone have some knowledge about these blowers? thanks.
20191120_180744.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Those manifolds are from a 2.1L blower. The manifolds for the 1.5L did not have the bosses for the internal bypass.

Your internal bypass is missing by the way. Looks like you're missing a couple of other items as well. Of course, none of those fittings came with the blower kit.

If you flip that thing over, the pressurized manifold should be setup to mate with a GT-40 lower.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Those manifolds are from a 2.1L blower. The manifolds for the 1.5L did not have the bosses for the internal bypass.

Your internal bypass is missing by the way. Looks like you're missing a couple of other items as well. Of course, none of those fittings came with the blower kit.

If you flip that thing over, the pressurized manifold should be setup to mate with a GT-40 lower.

Well I guess now I can breathe a sigh of relief that it's a 2.1. Maybe I'll buy some nicer fittings for it. Sorry if this is a stupid question too, I'm still new with this stuff, what's the internal bypass and what does it look like. Maybe the guy gave it to me separate. Also I flipped it over and it doesnt have the gt40 setup. I will note this came off of a 94 sn95
20191119_193142.jpg

WTF is that? LOL

Looks like they rigged one up. That 'valve' just behind and inboard of the power steering fill cap, looks like a bypass that they rigged in.

Scared me when I saw your image was not GT-40 but your explanation makes sense. All of my hands-on with these blowers are the Fox versions. I don't know what all the changes were for the SN kits other than snout length.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
WTF is that? LOL

Looks like they rigged one up. That 'valve' just behind and inboard of the power steering fill cap, looks like a bypass that they rigged in.

Scared me when I saw your image was not GT-40 but your explanation makes sense. All of my hands-on with these blowers are the Fox versions. I don't know what all the changes were for the SN kits other than snout length.

so even though its rigged in like that, it would still work? and even without the gt40 lower youre sure its a 2.1? Its also intercooled

so even though its rigged in like that, it would still work? and even without the gt40 lower youre sure its a 2.1? Its also intercooled

I cannot swear to the 2.1 because the manifolds obviously could have been swapped. I'll say that there's no good reason to put 2.1 manifolds on a 1.5 :shrug:

Yeah... it will all still work. You might even be able to put it back to factory if you desired. Not sure what part availability is for these anymore.

It looks like whoever owned it before set it up so that the bypass air was being cooled when the bypass was open.

Reactions: 1 user
When the bypass in open in these, the air normally circulates between the two manifolds until the bypass closes.

1574339509549.png

Some folks as a result, think it's necessary (or maybe just want to experiment) with cooling the bypass air.

Normally, the bypass fits right between these two manifolds.

When the bypass in open in these, the air normally circulates between the two manifolds until the bypass closes.

1574339509549.png

Some folks as a result, think it's necessary (or maybe just want to experiment) with cooling the bypass air.

Normally, the bypass fits right between these two manifolds.

Ah ok that makes sense. So far I've realized the threads about how much of a pain it is dealing with KB seem correct. They dont answer emails. I'm still a little concerned because we cant confirm 100% it's the 2.1. I hate buying from private sellers especially now that I might have overpaid. But thanks for the info!

@Noobz347 would you be able to give me your opinion on the price difference between buying a used 1.5 kit and a 2.1 kit? (Both with intercooler)

No. These kits are no longer available so I couldn't tell ya.

I'm reasonably certain that your kit is either a 2.1 or 2.2. None of the 1.5L kits came with a bypass of any kind. What's more is that there's no benefit to adding one to a 1.5. It would be senseless.

Value wise, it would be easier to estimate a cost based on the completeness of the kit. Without the complete kit, the install is going to be a project of its own.

What are you going to try and put this on?

@Noobz347 I'm going to put it on my basically stock 302. I am going to buy a comp blower cam and get gt40 heads. Also to complete this "kit" I have to either find a foxbody drive for the supercharger or change over my accessory drive to sn95.

Also I will update, i found a serial number on the blower... 4 20 3 82
I called kenne bell and gave it to him and found out, it's not a 1.5 but its not a 2.1 either. He said it's a 2.0 and I quote "wow that's an old one" so I'm not sure about it now. I cant find info on a 2.0 one.

As far as the bypass inlet, what's your take on the craftsmanship, does it look right?

20191121_175423.jpg
20191121_175427.jpg

20191121_175430.jpg
20191121_175434.jpg

@a91what I definitely will pm you, I imagine I will need some work done to get this thing right

Yeah... I'd pull all that cast iron garbage off and come up with something with better fit, finish, and function.

Don't worry too much about the specific displacement. Setup right and in good condition, it'll still max out a stock block.

Well I guess now I can breathe a sigh of relief that it's a 2.1. Maybe I'll buy some nicer fittings for it. Sorry if this is a stupid question too, I'm still new with this stuff, what's the internal bypass and what does it look like. Maybe the guy gave it to me separate. Also I flipped it over and it doesnt have the gt40 setup. I will note this came off of a 94 sn95
20191119_193142.jpg
Still have the 94-95 snout by chance? Looking to put a fox setup onto my 94 and would need to swap the snout.