Is there a way to make the exhaust louder...

sixstringthing

Aug 11, 2003
without changing the tone? (and keeping it emissions legal) B/c frankly I think the Mustang has the best exhaust note out of almost any car, just not loud enough. Would switching the midpipe, and maybe even tailpipes but leaving the mufflers in place do this?

• Sponsors (?)

I have an offroad-X with my stock catback, and, IMO the car sounds badass. I wouldn't have it any other way. It raised the volume, but not to the point of being obnoxious. It's pretty tame, sounds stock at idle, but at WOT it's everything it should be. The note will change some. But, if you got an offroad H, the tone would probably stay mostly the same.

is there a huge difference in sound between an O/R pipe and one with high flow cats? I wish I could get the O/R but I don't even have a driveway and I live on a huge incline so I have no good way of changing it out for the smog test, and I don't have the cash to be paying someone to do it. I think an O/R H with the stock c/b would be exactly the tone Im looking for.

The stock car uses 6 cats on a H-pipe, along with chambered mufflers. To maintain a simililar, yet louder exhaust, you would want to change out the mufflers for a louder chambered muffler (MAC, flows, Midas Super Turbo, etc.). If you went glasspack or straight through you would change the tone. To further keep the tone but go a step louder, get a H-pipe with hi-flow cats. The only real difference in sound between off-road H and hi flow catted H is the volume.

Jon