Is There Supposed To Be Any Play In The Axles?

2013 Geee T

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
Oak Park, CA
I had another thread about a squeaking brake issue where I got a squeak when not braking that went away when I did brake. I thought it was coming from the front but it turned out it was coming from the rear so I had my friend check it out at his work. We put it on the rack and took the wheel off to see if anything was rubbing which it wasn't.

We drove it while on the rack with the wheel off and brake pads out but the rotor held on with a few lug nuts. He noticed the rotor kind of moved around side to side like it was warped almost but he had already turned them when he did the brakes a few weeks back so they should have been fine. Then he noticed that he could pull on the axle and there was play in it when pulling out and pushing it in. Is this normal or is something else going on?

• Sponsors (?)

I was reading on various forums and some said its normal and others said its not and it could be bad clutches or a C clip.

Either way something is wrong since something is rubbing when I drive and brake pressure stops it. Also if I turn around a bend the sound will get quieter or even seem to go away so I wonder if the weight distribution is having an effect on whatever is rubbing.

what you just described I did not encounter when my axle bearings went bad. Obviously things can go bad differently but my bearings would just get progressively louder with speed.

When I first got the car it needed a complete rearend and one axle to be replaced. After completion there was NO PLAY (or very little) in both axle's.

what you just described I did not encounter when my axle bearings went bad. Obviously things can go bad differently but my bearings would just get progressively louder with speed.

When I first got the car it needed a complete rearend and one axle to be replaced. After completion there was NO PLAY (or very little) in both axle's.

Like I mentioned I'm getting so many different answers about whats normal so its hard to say if I should take it in or just let it ride. After we took the brakes apart a couple of times the squeak seemed to go away but now its back but not nearly as loud.

They are new pads and I'm sure my friend did what needed to be done lube wise when he did the brakes a few weeks ago. But the strange thing is that this started after he did the brakes but he took them apart twice to check them out and everything is fine. Its almost like it was waiting to happen and taking the brakes apart caused the problem to show itself.

They are new pads and I'm sure my friend did what needed to be done lube wise when he did the brakes a few weeks ago. But the strange thing is that this started after he did the brakes but he took them apart twice to check them out and everything is fine. Its almost like it was waiting to happen and taking the brakes apart caused the problem to show itself.
Its probably the pads. I put on some cheap AutoZone pads and no matter what I did, they squeaked. Replaced them with the CMAX pads and used the included lube and been quiet ever since.

Get the the brake pads nice and warm, put the car on "Stiff Knees," then spin the rear end to see if you can, recreate the sound; if it is the rear bearings, you can take the bearings out with a slide hammer.

I'm not following what you are suggesting to do here. I do have stiff knees sometimes but that's from getting older.

And to phatboy, they are Ford pads but I'm finding it strange how the sound went away after messing around with them and now is back but just not as loud. Something is obviously rubbing which shouldn't be.

This whole situation is making me want to take it in and have some 3:73s or 4:11s put in and they can check for any issues while they have it apart. Then again that means spending money on the old clunker.
I'm getting this done next week. Can't wait!

Moser 31 spline axles
Eaton TrueTrac diff
Ford Racing 4.10s
All new bearings and seals

All in all about $1200, including labor. Not too shabby..