Is this a bad fan clutch?

jaymac

Feb 18, 2004
Northern Mass
I've been trying to track down a rattling/chattering noise from under my hood, and today I checked the fan for shiites and giggles, and it has back and forth play to it, back and forth meaning front to back on the car. I checked all bolts, on the pulley and on the fan, and it still does it.
Is this a broken clutch? How bad is this. Thecar doesn't overheat, the highest it will ever go is 195*, but that intermittent chattering doesn't sound good. What do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

If you have that much movement there, I'd replace it. Not too expensive and many come with lifetime warranties. Plus if the car heats up when in traffic/sitting still, the new clutch will help.

I used a HD Imperial clutch and I think it works very well (I also upgraded to a metal fan blade).

Movement can also be water pump bearings being shot. Definately take note of that when doing an R/R.

I have not had a fan clutch crap out except for losing its viscous coupling (never a bearing issues - even the old ones are real tight in terms of slop).

Good luck bud.

I blew my headgaske(s) last night, so it looks like I will be spending a little more than expected :notnice:
Anyway if the water pump bearings were to blame, would the shaft wiggle as well? Cuz the shaft does not move at all, but the fan will wiggle on the end of the shaft...