is this cobra a good buy? what kind of quarter mile with this power?

RioRed94vert

Jun 13, 2005
kansas city
went and test drove a 94 cobra coupe tonight and he showed me the dyno sheets and it made 255rwhp and 278rwtq what kind of quarter would it run it has a short throw 3.73;s a saleen stage one suspension. I am looking to possibly buy it , it has mac shortys, mac H, MAC mufflers, u/d pullies, short throw, 3.73's and edelbrock aluminum heads and a cam and a king cobra clutch. THe motor is new and only has a couple hundred miles on it. the driver seat power motor is out the cd player does not work and there is a small oxidised spot on the spoiler.It has 131K on the body. He is asking 7500, do you think if i offered him 6200-6500$ he would take it?

• Sponsors (?)

i wouldnt pay more than 6 or 6.5k for it .. Sounds a bit low on power to me any proof the motor was just put in ?U would be suprized how many low mile 94 cobras are out there if u look around. In the end it really matters how much you like the car.

see if he will let you do a compression/leakdown test or somthing,maybe bring a mechanic, 250 for an aluminum heads 302 is kinda low. u sure u see edel brock aluminum heads on it? the stock gt40s make that kinda whp, maybe he dynoed it b4 the heads were on? just check into that , other then that your probably all good

Ok I must have missed something because 94-95 Cobra only put down 195 whp. I think 255whp is right on. I have been looking also for those years and they are going for $7500-$8000 but have been very low mileage original owner and original motor cars.

speedytang said:
Ok I must have missed something because 94-95 Cobra only put down 195 whp. I think 255whp is right on. I have been looking also for those years and they are going for $7500-$8000 but have been very low mileage original owner and original motor cars.

ya got that a little ass backwards chief, the 94-95 GTs rated at 215bhp made ~190 RWHP, the cobras which were UNDERRATED at 240bhp were closer to about ~235 rwhp.

I myself never seen a 94-95 Cobra do better than 14.30 at 97 mph. I have watched many Dyno runs and never seen one documented do better than 200rhp. Maybe watching the cars on the dyno for the last 10 years I just been unlucky to get one to turn better than that. Bad intake design, bad exhaust design, bad computer programming but I could see those cars being under rated. NOT

I am taking it to my mechanic today. The said that if you let it sit for three days or so it will not start due to a bad ground, does this make since? he seems legit. all the lights inside and outside work fine. I'm going to check the proof on the new engine and maybe call the guy in wisconsin that built it.And for the power it feels way stronger than my friends 94 crystal white cobra coupe. He runs 14.9's in it and this one easily runs high 13's.

speedytang said:
I myself never seen a 94-95 Cobra do better than 14.30 at 97 mph. I have watched many Dyno runs and never seen one documented do better than 200rhp. Maybe watching the cars on the dyno for the last 10 years I just been unlucky to get one to turn better than that. Bad intake design, bad exhaust design, bad computer programming but I could see those cars being under rated. NOT

hehe maybe its where u live, elevation or the dyno it self..my stock cobra dynoed at 222whp, i was lil up there on the elevation too a the shop i went too, cobras have anywhere from about 255-270 flywheel horsepower.if i had to guess id say 260. And theyre only rated at 14.5 from the factory, so i dont see the problem with 14.3

1994Vib.RedGT said:
ya got that a little ass backwards chief, the 94-95 GTs rated at 215bhp made ~190 RWHP, the cobras which were UNDERRATED at 240bhp were closer to about ~235 rwhp.

This is correct.

255rwhp is very reachable with the stock cobra H/C/I with just a few bolt-ons. I would check to see if the dyno was performed before the eddy heads/cam were installed. If the dyno was done after the H/C, you would have to wonder.

speedytang said:

Bone stock accept for K&N filter mine dyno'd 230hp 278 tq. Let me dredge up my dyno sheet from 8 years ago. If I can find it i'll scan and post.
But its not uncommon for a 94 95 cobra to dyno this way. Also let just say you havnt seen one with more than 200 rwhp, but you have seen a 14.3 at 97?? That is the time of something with more than 200 rwhp, especially with a weight of 3600 + lbs. A stock Gt runs with somewhere around 180 - 190 rwhp and gets mid to high 15's so adding 10 hp gains you a second????? ummmm no.

My 89 Stock, and I mean STOCK turned 14.5 @ 96.76 weighed 3550lbs and 2.29 60' and it probably made 180 whp no way to verify since wheel dyno was not available in '89. Maybe you guys are correct but have not seen with my own eyes. Staying on topic if you can get the car for $6k-$6.5k then your looking at a good deal, because in my area Mustangs are Gold.

"My 89 LX Hatchback, 5 Speed, Sunroof, GT Interior, Power Everything, no smog, aluminum driveshaft, Pro Star Knockoffs, less than an 1/8 of a tank of gas, 3200 with me in it" posted by a SN member.
This is almost completely stock, his stock weight was 120 lbs heavier!!! that looks like 3320 to me not 3550, according to my calculation (I'm not a math wiz) thats approx 300 lbs lighter for a fox bodied stang than a 94 - 95 which can make up most of the time you speak of. So in conclusion under 200 rwhp for a 94 - 95 will not equate to 14's over 200 will.
No flaming intended but I have seen dozens and dozens of dyno pulls on 94 - 95 gt's and cobras, I have seen only one cobra under 200 rwhp and that was because of a bad plug foul. So unless you have been looking at fake cobras this info is wrong or is a beaten cobra. As for the topic thats a pretty good price but offer him less to see where he is willing to bend.

speedytang said:

I've never seen one do less than 215 rwhp. Mine put 238 RWHP on a tired motor with nothing more than an exhaust. Mine also trapped 14.5 @ 98 bone stock on a very crappy run. Edit: You should expect to pay around 6-8 k for a clean one since it has aftermarket heads and all, that drops the resale.

BUY THAT CAR!!! It sounds like a great deal, it's should run 13's, just be prepared to spend money on things you didn't want to because of the miles. It's going to need a lot of annoying front suspension work, and so on. I think 8,000 dollar is a steal, considering they may very well start going up in price like the 93s very soon. We've all seen decent 93 cobras go for 13,000 bucks. Don't let the naysayers persuade you, someone's ALWAYS gotten a better deal than everyone....

GOOD LUCK!!! ;)