Is this dangerous??

Jinx

I like cats, cats like me. Cats and I fully agree.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 2, 2003
Cat Country
I think my friend may have some trash stuck in the pump/sending unit in the fuel system prior to the filter. Older '94 model, not sure how it got past the filter bag if clogged.

Can I remove the in-line filter and put a shot of compressed air back the line to the tank without damaging anything. I don't know if the sending unit is damaged or clogged, but the dash guage works intermittently (usually not) and the vehicle was run to the nearest gas station on fumes (sputtering and bucking).

Guage reads Empty even on a full tank.

thanks,
Rob

• Sponsors (?)

i wouldn't

in theory that sounds all well and good but the fact is that if he has garbage in the line what would be the point in shooting the garbage right back in the tank so that is could be sucked up later on. tell your friend to do himself a favor and drop the tank and clean it the right way. it will save himself a lot of heartache in the long run.

94 Cobra 5.0 said:
in theory that sounds all well and good but the fact is that if he has garbage in the line what would be the point in shooting the garbage right back in the tank so that is could be sucked up later on. tell your friend to do himself a favor and drop the tank and clean it the right way. it will save himself a lot of heartache in the long run.

I'll let Her know, but I hope to hear more from others as well. What about using it as a temporary fix?

i guess

well i guess you could use it as a temporary fix but i dont think that its going to help much cause if the clog is already in the filter sock then the clog is just going to come right back once the pump primes the system on startup.
first thing though, how old is the fuel filter cause if the fuel filter is clogged that could be your problem all together. next thing would be to start checking if the gauge is bad or if the fuel level sending unit is bad. hope this helps.

I believe the fuel filter is fine because it drives like it always has. There is no lack of fuel delivery, just that the guage is no longer working.

yeah or tell her to do the old track her mileage thing. You know fill tank drive till she has about 150miles on trip fill back up.
I know on my boat it had rust on the float slide so it would stick.

I have tried this temporary fix and it ended up screwing me. I dropped one of the carb cleaner bottle silver tabs that seal under the cap into my tank. It got stuck in the line after about 50 miles and so I blew it back up in the tank with compressed air. Then, about 100 miles down the road fuel shut off completely and she stalled and wouldn't start. Then I removed the tank and got it out in an afternoon and problem solved. Should have done that a lot sooner. Tell her not to be lazy as I was.

Trying to use compressed air may solve the problem. However, be careful when you've got the in-tank pump out of the tank to service it. Don't "test" it with a power supply out of the car or you might get a nice BOOM.
~A.C.

I think the fuel level reading device, (i'm guessing it's like a float bulb in a toilet) may have a hole in it. Earlier in the day it could read a full tank and later that afternoon it could read empty. So I figure if it's getting stuck, that it would read full after filling and it does not. I appreciate everyones input and I guess it will have to wait until I find the time to drop the tank and do a proper job.