Is this more of an X pipe or H pipe ?

MrPerfect2

Jul 23, 2019
Washington DC
Without seeing the cut out , the top one looks more H to me - the bottom one seems like an X though .
8AC03594-812A-4D0F-8318-A2D01D8093B3.jpeg
FBF44B45-04E3-4B08-8E14-A066E1428FEA.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

The top is a clamped down x-pipe. BBK uses that style. I wouldn't get those. Get the bottom one. Those are real xpipes and have better exhaust scavenging.

Reactions: 1 user
I used both and they actually sound very similar except when I go WOT and let go of the gas pedal the bottom one gives more of a snap, crackle, and pop sound which I like.

There have been many tests on different exhaust intermediaries. Mr. Perfect will want the bottom one. In the real world, it really doesn't matter.

Kurt

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Looks like Some X pipes are more pronounced in blending gases more smoothly then others . I saw a video of flow that demonstrated - I have the top X and 2 cats on it and plan to use 44s or maybe super 40s ( original 40s are known to drone hard )

Looks like Some X pipes are more pronounced in blending gases more smoothly then others . I saw a video of flow that demonstrated - I have the top X and 2 cats on it and plan to use 44s or maybe super 40s ( original 40s are known to drone hard )

Correct, but in order for them to have any real scavenging effects, the X would have to located much closer to the engine than is anyway practical on a Mustang. That is based on a statement by Dr. Gas, the original X-pipe manufacturer for the Mustang. At the point in the exhaust where it is possible to put any crossover in, they all work basically the same. There have been several published dyno shoot outs comparing exhaust intermediaries, and all the intermediaries were about the same, even the old school H-pipe. It seems the Mac Pro-Chamber usually eeks out an extra hp or two, but an amount too negligible to be considered. If you ran the same car on back to back dyno pulls, the power is going to be a little different.

Kurt

Don’t know if anyone could answer this - What about as far as sound - will the top X exhibit more of a H rumble or x rasp with flows

The sound of FlowBastards overtakes any sound quality changes upstream. Don't even talk about the efficiency of the intermediary if you are just going to put FlowMasters behind it anyway. There are plenty of dyno tests on mufflers in addition to intermediaries. The different intermediaries yield an irrelevant difference in performnace; but there is no doubt that FlowMaster mufflers kill HP.

Kurt

• Loved It!
My setup will be the Bassani X-pipe and flowmasters american thunder cat-back

I'm curious to how it will sound, but at some point, the flows will get cut off for something a little bit more freer flowing. Problem is, i actually want to quiet my car down.