Is This Oil Pan Salvagable?

GrandmasterK

Founding Member
Aug 17, 2001
Madison, WI
So I think the place I had my car worked on last year put in the wrong sized drain plugs and it looks like it caused the outside portion of the oil pan to separate from the inside portion (the below image hopefully shows that well enough). I'm thinking it went through the softer outside and then pushed back the inside portion so that they separated. It looks even worse after I spent time trying to screw in an oversized bolt that refused to fit. This is the upper drain plug FYI.

oilPan.jpg

Any ideas if/how I could fix this or do I just need to replace the oil pan? I don't know exactly what the pan looks like from the inside but I think even if I got something to screw in, the large gap that is now there would cause leaks around the plug / bolt.

• Sponsors (?)

I just recently cleaned/panted and re-install my old pan on my rebuilt motor.... it's not 2 layers per-say... but there is a metal part tacked to the pan behind the holes, that is actually the threaded part the plug goes into...

I am actually OK doing some kind of McGyver fix if it saves me having to replace the oil pan entirely... I only drive this car in the summer and I have an SUV I use as my daily driver, so I really only do one oil change a year.

If I were to get something, either a plug or even a dowel as kartheif suggested, that mostly fix, could I even put some kind of caulking around it to prevent leaks? I'm not sure if oil would eat through that or cause any other issues.

I've got a few different sort of plugs to try... if nothing else, I need to get it plugged enough that I can drive it to somewhere to get the oil pan replaced. Long term fix will be a new oil pan most likely but I'm trying to avoid that right now... needs new brakes and tires as well :/