Issues Need Help!!

Cclark29

Mar 5, 2017
So at the end of last summer my 68 starting dying out on me. It'll start and run as long as I hold the throttle open but the second I close it, it stalls out. No sputtering or anything just dies instantly. I'm at a loss here. I've tried adjusting the floats, checked the distributor, plugs wires, and the carb seems to be pumping fuel just fine. It's a Holley 4 barrel carb and I am out of ideas, any tips or suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you!

• Sponsors (?)

It's a Holley 650. I can check that out, but looking more into it, it looks like my float pins might be stuck and aren't adjusting. Think this pretty much means I'm screwed.

My guess is either your floats have filled with gas or the needle is stuck. The fact that you have to hold the throttle open suggests it's getting too much fuel. Check for dirt or damage on the tip of the float needle, then shake the float lightly and listen for liquid inside. If it passes on both of those tests, check the accelerator pump. Also, don't forget the secondary side of the carb, it's just as likely to pick up trash that'll cause you grief.

Right after I posted my answer, I also forgot to mention, don't assumed it's a carb problem, look at vacuum leaks in odd places. Hard to see areas like the vacuum modulator on the trans (both ends of the hard line) the PCV valve (both ends) look to make sure all of the vacuum plugs are in place on the carb, check the vacuum advance canister on the distributer and even the intake manifold itself. These are all places I've had vacuum leaks that are a pain to find.