issues with my hatch

black93lx

May 21, 2001
IL.
first off....thanks to anyone who helped me before with my dash lights problem. stupid dimmer switch. the second one i bought works awesome.

i've got a 91 hatch back. a month or so ago, i noticed that the hatch was rattling around a lot. hit a bump, hear a noise. drove around one time with a buddy and each time i hit a bump, the hatch would bounce. so i took the inside panels off and it looks like the part of the latch that wraps around the striker isn't completely wrapped around the striker....like i think it used to be.

so.....in an attempt to rule things out, i put some jbweld around the striker, closed the hatch to make an imprint, then let the jbweld set. closed the hatch and it's a tight fit at the center, right by the key hole, where the latch and striker meet. not the best i know, but trying to troubleshoot.

problem is on each corner of the hatch, there's movement. I can basically pick up each corner slightly with the hatch closed and tight in the center. so i tried adjusting the rubber grommets in the corners without any luck. put them all the way out, still moves. put them all the way in, still moves.

are my hinges bad? i checked like you would on a door hinge and don't think so. no side to side movement with the hatch half way up.

are the struts bad on the hatch? it stays up when i pick it up.

if you think it's the latch and that it needs to be tighter around the striker, know where i can get one that works? nothin at 50resto... can i take mine to a lock smith or take it apart and fix it?

thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

That happened to me on my 89. I replaced the plastic piece that goes around the striker and that fixed it.

Ford used a rubber coating around the striker from the factory that wears out. I had the same issue when I first bought my Fox and used some rubber vac hose, I can't remember, but I think it was 3/8. Just cut a slit to get it on the striker. I could be wrong on size, just get some thick black vac tubing that will fit snug around it. 6 years strong with that and counting.

You can get those plastic striker bolt bushings in an assortment at Autozone. They fit on the doors also. They will definitely cause a rattle. I have to replace mine in my 90 about once a year or so.

your catcher might be loose and have slipped up not allowing the hatch to shut as tight. there is a cutout in the center of the catcher that you can use a allen wrench to loosen. once its loose push it down a little to adjust to where the hatch will close the best. and make sure that plastic or rubber piece is there.

Thats the Fix.....They sell the Striker Bolt bushings at the Parts store, in the Help section.

Which parts stores I've gone to Auto Zone, Napa, Chiefs, Kragen's, Pep Boys, Advance and Orellie's and I haven't seen the striker bushing in any of them.

Could you give me a store and part # so that I know where to go to get it?

Ford used a rubber coating around the striker from the factory that wears out. I had the same issue when I first bought my Fox and used some rubber vac hose, I can't remember, but I think it was 3/8. Just cut a slit to get it on the striker. I could be wrong on size, just get some thick black vac tubing that will fit snug around it. 6 years strong with that and counting.

Mine doesn't have any rubber coating around the bushing it's more like a nylon bushing.
What I 've learned through thru all my searching though is the OD is 11/16” .

Mine doesn't have any rubber coating around the bushing it's more like a nylon bushing.
What I 've learned through thru all my searching though is the OD is 11/16” .

Thats polly the size, I just happened to use what I did and it worked for me and it's still working with not rattles or being loose. I did not know Auto Zone sold them but I would try that first. Just another Fox qwerk I guess!

Thats polly the size, I just happened to use what I did and it worked for me and it's still working with not rattles or being loose. I did not know Auto Zone sold them but I would try that first. Just another Fox qwerk I guess!

Thanks for the clarification.
I'll definitely be checking with Auto Zone tomorrow to see what they carry in there help section now that I know.