Isuzu Steering Gear on a 66

Scott66

Jan 4, 2010
Has anyone used one of these to convert a manual steering car to Power? It is an integral gear and looks to match up pretty good. It can be bought fairly cheap in comparison to the Borgeson and ABS units. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'm fairly certain that the Borgeson integral power steering box for a 65-70 mustang is based on an Isuzu box.

They modify the box mounting so that it will bolt onto the mustang like the factory box and use the stock mustang manual steering gear.

The part that I haven't figured out yet is the pitman arm mounting. I don't know if the splines on the Izuzu box match a Mustang pitman arm (either year) or if fabrication would be required to mate them.

Peter

pitman arm

Peter, i believe you have to combo the pitman arm. That would take using half the Isuzu to go to the gear and the mustang half to go to the steering. I have spoke with a shop who says they have done several pitman arm combo's in the past. I think I'm going this route.

Has anyone used one of these to convert a manual steering car to Power? It is an integral gear and looks to match up pretty good. It can be bought fairly cheap in comparison to the Borgeson and ABS units. Thanks
I used the ABS unit on a 1966 Mustang with 4 speed transmission and Z bar. Works very well. I have a complete set of pictures and modifications necessary. The ABS is actually a 1981 Toyota Celica gear box with one mounting hole slightly elongated. Requires a different spline installed in the Pitman arm which ABS does with your original arm. I have found a 1980 Toyota pickup hose works quite well with slight bending and an SAE fitting installed on the pump end. I used a 1968 Mustang steering column which required no shortening. Required a slight modification to the Z bar.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 1,291
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 572
  • 004c.jpg
    004c.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 353
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG