It Was Just Hanging There

Tom Hays

Apr 9, 2017
i recently bought a 94 Mustang with a 3.8 off a yard sale site for $500. I knew the car had been sitting for years and suffering no crank no start at the time it was parked. I knew I had my hands full when I bought it, but I like to have something to tinker with.

Anyway, I got it home replaced the battery and started checking the wiring and then decided to give the crankshaft a turn to ensure I wasn't wasting my time before I put the car on jack stands to get under it. I took off the belt and the harmonic balancer and pulley dropped, it was hanging in by what little shaft was left on the balancer.

Long story short I need to get the rest of that shaft out of the block, preferably without damaging anything else.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

So....the harmonic balancer came apart ? I'm trying to understand what you're saying.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes the baller shaft is broken off, part of it is still in the car.

Attachments

• IMG_2455.JPG
    IMG_2455.JPG
    431.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2456.JPG
    IMG_2456.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2461.JPG
    IMG_2461.JPG
    543.8 KB · Views: 115
I was afraid to manually turn the crank bolt to far without the balancer in place. I didn't want to strip the bolt. But, when the bolt got tight and I continued to turn some residual coolant came from the lower radiator hose so I don't feel like the motor is locked up

It looks like the collar of the balancer sheared off. That's wierd.

I would start by pulling the timing cover and seeing if you can get a pulley puller behind what's left.

Good luck.

Joe

Reactions: 1 users
Best chance to get that off is to pull the timing cover off, and then see if you can get a puller behind it, or split it carefully to break it off.

Gott break the engine down to this point
310986d1391031422-97-timing-cover-removal-distributor-drive-gear-img_0979.jpg

Probably explains the no start condition. balancer broke

Last edited:
It used to happen a lot with explorers. Taking the front cover off is the best way.

That's actually a good sign....means it was probably running when it broke. Not a bad time to put a timing chain in it while you're there.

The other option is to weld a ring to the od of whats left of the balancer. Then put bolt in. Use 3 jaw puller to pull it off.

After closer examination youd have to pull cover as stated.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wanted to dig into it yesterday but I found a snake skin in my storage shed and made the mistake of telling my wife about it. She immediately changed my plans to removing every thing from the shed, finding and killing the snake and replacing the floors. Maybe next weekend...

Thanks for the suggestions. I wanted to dig into it yesterday but I found a snake skin in my storage shed and made the mistake of telling my wife about it. She immediately changed my plans to removing every thing from the shed, finding and killing the snake and replacing the floors. Maybe next weekend...

so did you find mr sneaky snake or did he check out of your hotel?

Dude, I HATE snakes! I found one in my garage 2 years ago, every since then I have to look around the garage floor really well before crawling under my car. Did I mention I HATE snakes!

If I ever find one IN my house, I will burn it to the ground!

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
I did find and kill the snake. No joke, I'm 6'3, 250lbs. I had 8 years active duty Marine's and I've been in the Army for 10 years but that slimy little bastard has paralyzed me with fear. It took 5 hours to clear out the shed because every move I made was with surgical precision. I've legit had nightmares. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: 3 users