It's been awfully quiet around here.....

• Sponsors(?)

LILCBRA

I started this morning by knocking out some studs
10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
So I had an eventful weekend! lol The main event happened when I got the mail on Saturday. Buckle up, there's a bit of a story here.

When I was with my ex and well before my accident in 2015 I ended up buying a car for her daughters to use, a 2011 Kia Rio. Fast forward to our divorce and she was awarded that car, but it was in my name alone. When she cleared my house out, she took the filing cabinets with all of the paperwork with her. This included all of the vehicle titles - all 3 Mustangs, the camper, the Kia, and her Audi along with a bunch of other stuff, including the keys to my Cobra. (I ended up buying new locksets and replacing them.) When my birthday rolled around and the vehicles that remained in my name were due for renewal, she emailed my lawyer bitching about me not signing the title over for her to title the vehicle. I replied to my lawyer that she had the title in hand since she didn't leave it for me to sign and we had a no contact order, how was I supposed to sign it? I also told my lawyer that I had asked about this very scenario when I renewed my registrations (and cancelled this one) the clerk told me that all she needed to do was take the divorce paperwork with her as proof that she legally owned the car and she would have a new title issued to her. I never heard anything about this again - until a few months ago when the county sent me a letter saying I was to pay fines and fees for not registering the vehicle and not having proof of insurance. So I went to the DMV and cleared that up again and had the registration cancelled for the second time. Saturday I received a letter from a towing company that the vehicle has been impounded and the fee schedule, $320 initial fee + $30/day until it's reclaimed, for up to 10 days before they foreclose on the lien and auction it off. Again, I've emailed my lawyer to see what options I may have, but I may be able to get this car back and save some fuel by using this car as my commuter. Time will tell I guess.

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Yeah, she was a piece of work. I just think it's kinda funny in a way. And I am SO glad to be rid of her! She was nothing but a leech.

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Yep, that's what's happened with the vehicles I was awarded in the divorce. But this one, I'm not sure how that would play out since it was awarded to her in the divorce and is listed on that legal document. I'm still waiting for my lawyer to get back to me, but I just don't want it to bite me in the ass later - you know? I mean I can see her finding out that I have the car again and try to pull some stupid $#!+ and try to take me to court to get it back again. Those are the kind of games this ***ch plays. I have half a mind to just let it go, but it would be a cheap way to get an econo-car and park my truck to save on fuel costs.

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
Here in Florida the tow company can suspend your tag renewals so you cannot buy tags for any of your vehicles.
#1 get the car out of impound, get a duplicate title, she would have to get a court order to get it back.
#2 ( this is what I would do) take a copy of your divorce papers showing she was awarded the vehicle and sign the title over to them with the stipulation (in writing) that you are not responsible for any towing/storage fees. She will likely never know #2 happend.
i am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice but I have been involved with the towing industry all my life and actually helped a friend in this same scenario resolve an issue just like this

Reactions: LILCBRA

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Just been doing some research and found out that it was involved in an accident on November 25th. I wasn't allowed to see the car yesterday so I have no idea how bad it is, only that the clerk said the pics didn't look like there was much damage. I may try to go back later this afternoon with my divorce paperwork, the letter, and of course my ID and see if I can find out anything more as far as that goes. If all looks well I may go with option #1, unless my lawyer gets back to me and suggests a different route. I'm hopeful that they have the keys so I don't have to have a locksmith come out if it gets to that point.

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
If she is anything like my ex I would do #2, the 11 kia reo is a pretty good car but not worth the hassle, taking a chance she finds out and I would have to deal with her, even through a lawyer would make me :uzi:

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Oh, she's definitely a piece of work! When she finally left my house she ended up getting an apartment that's like 3/4 of a mile away from the house. I JUST found that out maybe a month ago and only because I saw her car parked there and another car with a car cover parked next to it. Out of curiosity I went through the parking lot early one morning and it damn sure looked like it was the 67 that she got in the divorce under the cover. I looked up at the decks as I passed by and saw a good bit of the patio furniture I bought sitting out there. If there was a way I could avoid even driving near that place I would, but it's right off of the major road and on my way to about EVERYWHERE I go. I count my blessings that I've only seen her on the roads like 3 or 4 times since the divorce was finalized last year. I can't wait for the day that she moves out of those apartments and as far away from me as she can get.

2Blue2

I partied with that dude!, um girl, um whatever...
Mar 5, 2019
Oahu
Sounds like Fricken endless drama with that gal

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
I'm pretty convinced that she had all of this planned for YEARS. When I bought my house in 2013 and we weren't even close to getting married she wanted me to add her name to the deed. Then when I was in that accident in 2015 and not quite right, she convinced me that we needed to be married and I finally caved. The WORST mistake of my life! It all went downhill from there. During the mediation she tried to have me sign the house over but I refused. I bought it as a repo and got if for a decent price, and just going from Zillow estimates I had somewhere around $60-80k equity. I mean I could've just sold the house when I finally got back into it, but I probably wouldn't have gotten as much for it since she basically trashed it. So, financially, it made sense for me to take on the MAJOR project that it is now and not move away. I just wish she wasn't anywhere near me anymore. I mean we live in Marietta, a suburb of Atlanta - she couldn't find a place somewhere else??

Sounds like Fricken endless drama with that gal
And to quote an old co-worker of mine - boy you ain't a-:poo:tin!!

• Haha
Reactions: General karthief

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
I'm pretty convinced that she had all of this planned for YEARS. When I bought my house in 2013 and we weren't even close to getting married she wanted me to add her name to the deed. Then when I was in that accident in 2015 and not quite right, she convinced me that we needed to be married and I finally caved. The WORST mistake of my life! It all went downhill from there. During the mediation she tried to have me sign the house over but I refused. I bought it as a repo and got if for a decent price, and just going from Zillow estimates I had somewhere around $60-80k equity. I mean I could've just sold the house when I finally got back into it, but I probably wouldn't have gotten as much for it since she basically trashed it. So, financially, it made sense for me to take on the MAJOR project that it is now and not move away. I just wish she wasn't anywhere near me anymore. I mean we live in Marietta, a suburb of Atlanta - she couldn't find a place somewhere else??

And to quote an old co-worker of mine - boy you ain't a-:poo:tin!!

Totally explains why you turned to dudes :nonono:

We don't judge you :jester:

• Haha
Reactions: Enzio

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
The more I think about it with that accident and all that, I think I'm gonna go with @General karthief 's option number 2. I mean it costs me nothing to do that vs paying impound fees and the potential for a major headache down the road.

Totally explains why you turned to dudes :nonono:

We don't judge you :jester:
1575329244614.png

Don't make me have Chucky come get you!! :jester:

• Haha
Reactions: General karthief

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Stopped by the towing office and signed that car away. Given the fact it was in that accident I don't want there to be even a remote possibility that I'll be held liable. Then there's always that chance that she could try to take me to court and get the car back after I paid to get it out of impound and drag the whole thing out - I don't want to go there either! And to top all of that off, it's just another added expense and most likely another project to add to my already overloaded to do list. It just made a lot more sense to let it go once I sat and thought it through thoroughly.

On another note, the epoxy set up in my sledge hammer and holds just fine. :D Demo day has resumed as I started knocking the shower walls out. I'm hoping to have the bathroom gutted by the weekend then next week I can start building the new closet and bathroom wall. The new shower surround should be here next week too, so I'll have plenty of stuff to keep me busy again.

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
I still have this feeling that I'm somehow going to get dragged into it, but I figure this way I won't have any liability. The more I thought about it and "talked" it out with everyone the more that made the most sense. One thing's for certain though, I'm kinda smiling on the inside that she's having some kind of problem. We could say that karma is having her way with her. ;)