It's been awfully quiet around here.....

Enzio

Dang it. I was hoping mine would get 3 more inches
May 14, 2019
Minnesota
Thanks for the help. I'll need to research the input shaft length. Do you remember which 5 speed you used? There are a whole lot of different variations out there. I'll not be making a lot of horsepower; not as much as you anyway.
I'm sure that I'll need the shifter but how about the speedometer?

• Sponsors(?)

LILCBRA

I started this morning by knocking out some studs
10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
I used a T5 from a 95 GT. If memory serves, the input shaft is a tad longer so the sleeve I made didn't have to be quite so long. They are also one of the highest torque rated T5s. If you were to get your hands on one of these OR one from a Fox car, they still accept the factory speedometer gear, but you may need to double check the color codes for the correct gears to run with your car. The drive gear is swap-able as long as you know what you need to have. There are a number of different places to both find the info for what gears you need as well as places to purchase them.

For reference, here is a link to all of the tag numbers on the many versions of the T5 out there as well as most of the torque ratings.

Another site with some useful info:

And a link to LMR's speedometer gear calculator. They sell the gears as well, so it's a one stop shop! ;)

Enzio

May 14, 2019
Minnesota
Thank you very much. I'll read it over the weekend.
Enzio

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
I wonder whether or not they have any in stock to sell you one outright since they are requesting customers send them their core to have built. Otherwise yes, it will work. You'll still be tasked with everything you'd have to do as far as the swap goes, but it looks like you'd have yourself a decent transmission to start with if you go that route.

Enzio

May 14, 2019
Minnesota
Totally soaked out by rain today.
I'll call them on Monday and see what's up. They are just south of Minneapolis and only a short drive from my place.
Thank you,
Tom

Reactions: LILCBRA

2Blue2

I partied with that dude!, um girl, um whatever...
Mar 5, 2019
Oahu
All right LILCBRA,
The Challenge...
Go drive your Cobra today! Just Because!

sending inspiration your way!

2Blue2

I partied with that dude!, um girl, um whatever...
Mar 5, 2019
Oahu
I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out...

Looks like fun!

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Nope, didn't get the car out this weekend. I had a VERY busy day at work on Friday and tied my personal record for as many patients that I've seen in a day. Problem was that all of the orders come in right before noon, so I was stuck at work for an extra 4 hours Friday. Saturday I was a slug and hardly left the couch until I got up and left for my extra overnight shift at the main hospital. Then Sunday, I slept for around 3 hours, did some domestic duties (laundry, groceries, etc.) and back to the couch for some football - which I fell asleep for. I got to see about half of the first quarter of the Chiefs game before I just went to bed. Then I woke up this morning to find out that they lost.... THAT started my day out wonderfully today! It's been a stereotypical Monday for me here today.....

Manoah

Jul 28, 2018
San Diego
havent touched the stang in about a year now. i average 12 hour days every day at work. time and doubts about my abilities are leading me to think that i should just have a shop build the car for me. i dont have the ability to fab anything, so everything needs to be bolt on, or plug and play.

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Since my Mustang projects have been on hold and I've been concentrating on other areas of my life, progress is being made. I finally took my truck in to have the minor accident damage repaired and had them fix a couple other areas while they were at it. I got it back last week and am more than happy with it! And since I did all of that, I splurged and got a couple accessories to go with it that haven't been installed yet.

When I bought it new in 2015:
View: https://flic.kr/p/2hsxHcR

Dented fender:
View: https://flic.kr/p/2hsxHf1

Accident damage and dented tailgate:
View: https://flic.kr/p/2hsyGZk

New tailgate and bumper:
View: https://flic.kr/p/2hsxAFE

New headlights, fender, front leveling kit, and shaved the emblems:
View: https://flic.kr/p/2hsxAM6

And work has finally resumed on my kitchen! I've been kinda lazy about it over the last couple months, mostly because all of my extra funds were going toward the truck. But I finally built and installed the laundry pedestal that I had in my mind. I still need to do a few things to it before it's "done" but the main structure is in place. No more bending over to get clothes out of the dryer when I finally get it all operational again!

View: https://flic.kr/p/2hvpzAs

Reactions: Enzio and 2Blue2

Enzio

May 14, 2019
Minnesota
time and doubts about my abilities are leading me to think that i should just have a shop build the car for me.

Manoah,

I've been thinking about this since you posted it. I too have felt this same way many times over the years.

But, as it turned out, my last two summers were spent working on the Cobra II. They passed in a flash and there were many moments of extreme fun and laughter and yes some pride - that I did that. (I'm not a mechanic.) There were also times where I got in a hurry and did some things half ass or skipped to the next step, only to go back and do it over again the right way. I'm learning that work on an old car such as these is far more precise than I ever knew. So now this spring I'm going to do a rebuild of the engine and hopefully install a T5. I wouldn't even attempt this if it wasn't for the help on this site. Once that's done to my satisfaction I'm going to have the rust repaired and the body repainted to original black with the gold stripes. I'm highly doubtful that I'll even attempt to do that myself. Notice I said "have it done". There are some guys on this site that make body work look so easy. I'm jealous of that but not so jealous that I'm going to go out and get the tools necessary to do the work with no experience at all.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you farm out the work you'll be depriving yourself of the reward and satisfaction of a job well done by yourself. On the other hand, (as in the paint and body work on my car) if you don't have the time and you have the money you'll need to decide how to move forward.

I had mine in storage for 30+ years and I do not recommend that to anyone. Your choice. We'll stand behind you stangnet brother. You're reviving in our opinion a classic mustang.

Enzio

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Work has resumed on the kitchen. I should be able to wrap it up pretty soon. Finished the laundry pedestal and bought some supplies. Then work will begin on other rooms in the house.

I also received the rest of the parts that I've ordered for the truck then ordered a few more. I'm still in the process of painting the flares but I took it to an exhaust shop last night and had them install the Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow. I like it a lot! It's not obnoxiously loud yet it's audible and I think it sounds pretty good!

View: https://youtu.be/FAZs9S0FKE8

Reactions: RaggedGT and Enzio

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
That's definitely part of the remodel! lol
I haven't decided what I'm going to do with that door to be honest. I have a bunch of thoughts running in my head, but it'll be some time before I get to any of them. I am looking to push a wall out and relocate my basement stairs. When I do that, my front door will also move which, as it sits in my head, will be at the top of the stairs and at the end of that wall in the pic. I've thought about relocating that door to the top of the stairs as well so my front door and my carport door will both enter at roughly the same place. So if I do that, I may end up replacing the door altogether, but I haven't decided on that yet either. The joys of home ownership!! :D

Reactions: 2Blue2 and Enzio