It's been awfully quiet around here.....

LILCBRA

I started this morning by knocking out some studs
10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Did a little more over the weekend. I installed wheel flares on the truck Saturday morning since I woke up at 4am and couldn't get back to sleep. Finished as the sun was coming up. Then I took the wall cap that I had cut earlier last week and glued & screwed them together. I also bought a piece to top off the wall at the end of the cabinets on the other side. Other than that I didn't get much accomplished on those projects, but I did manage to add to the list! lol

IMG_20191026_081800.jpg

Reactions: Olivethefet
  • Sponsors(?)

74stang2togo

NERD!
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
Unlike you guys, (with rare exceptions), I work on cars for a living.

After 16 years, I've become the guy I never understood for most of my career. My daily driver is 2000 miles overdue for its oil change, has a left rear door lock actuator that hasn't worked since I bought it... with it's replacement part still sitting in the center console where I put it 18 months ago, the rear rotors have pulsated under hard braking for six months, and the TPMS light has been on for a month because I'm too lazy to air up the spare (4Runners run a 5-sensor system).

If all that is going on with the truck I drive 500 or more miles a week, you can imagine how little drive I have to do anything with ElSuperPinto.

• Sad
Reactions: 2Blue2

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
That's exactly why I dropped out of school way back when and didn't pursue it as a career anymore. I thought about it for a while and decided that that's basically what would happen. They say to do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life, but it also becomes so repetitive that you don't want to do it anymore. It took me a few years before I went back to school for tool and die, figuring that was fairly close to working on cars yet completely different. That and it runs in the family. :) The only reason I do what I do now is because finding a toolmaker job that doesn't run the risk of being shut down and moved overseas was/is becoming a serious problem. It took me 2 years after graduation to find a job, lost that one about a year and a half later. Then it took another year to find another. In 2008-09 they announced that the plant was closing. And we all know what it was like at that time - I was out of work for another year again. I said F this and went back to school again, figured health care was a lot more stable - and here we are! 1000 miles from home working 6 and 7 days a week. I guess the point is we all get burned out and tired of working on projects for a multitude of reasons. For you it's because you do it day in and day out, the last thing you want to do with your time off is do the same thing again. For me it's because I feel I never have a lot of time to myself to just sit back, relax, and do other things that don't require "work." You'll get to it when you get to it - it's a hobby, something you do because you enjoy it. If you're not enjoying it, then you can take a break from it and come back to it later. I'm sure you'll get to it at some point....

• Sad

Enzio

Dang it. I was hoping mine would get 3 more inches
May 14, 2019
Minnesota
Retired Electrician after 40 years. You couldn't get me to look at electrical work (other than cars) at gun point. People just start to ask me about something and I interrupt and say NO.
Although, I have to admit...it was really good steady work the entire time.

• Sad

Olivethefet

Slap me as well as point and laugh
May 17, 2018
Enterprise AL
Thats really cool! The fact that the foot well windows are also monitors is kick ass. I guess they have to be to be a true teaching simulator.

Reactions: Enzio

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
Thats really cool! The fact that the foot well windows are also monitors is kick ass. I guess they have to be to be a true teaching simulator.
The screen is essentially a frame that wraps around the cockpit. Images from 4 separate projectors and computers are distorted to fit the screen and meshed to overlap at the edges to make one complete picture. The 'knee window' is just a window that looks out onto a portion of the one complete image.

Something like this with more overhang on the top, bottom, and sides to cover peripheral vision artifacts:
1572551651574.png

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
That chopper simulator was beyond cool. The system took up a entire semi trailer plus. And it was really cool that noobz let me pilot it around. You could not wipe the smile off my face for two days!
I just hope he ain't too mad about me crashing it though :(

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Wouldn't crashing in a simulator be part of the fun sometimes? :rlaugh:

Here's a sample of what I do now. I perform EEGs which measures the electrical activity from the brain. It's generally used for epileptic patients and for patients who are at risk for neurological decline. It's less commonly used to locate areas of the brain affected by stroke and it can also monitor levels of sedation.

IMG_20190902_121045__01.jpg
IMG_20191016_074002__01.jpg

Last edited:

2Blue2

I partied with that dude!, um girl, um whatever...
Mar 5, 2019
Oahu
I think my EEG would have bank in the middle where I lose my train of...
Wait what was i saying?

2Blue2

I partied with that dude!, um girl, um whatever...
Mar 5, 2019
Oahu
Looks like the recording of the 80+ earth quakes here last week alone

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
I think my EEG would have bank in the middle where I lose my train of...
Wait what was i saying?
Honestly the docs here would probably order one for you. I've done a few of them for "Transient Global Amnesia" although I don't know exactly what they'd be looking for in the EEG.....

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
I've been slowly working on some of the unfinished projects in the kitchen again. I crawled into the attic and finished wiring the outlets for the under cabinet lighting and finally reinstalled the dishwasher. It appears that the seals in the water valve have dried up, so now I'll have to deal with that, but it's in place for now.

IMG_20191105_191842.jpg

I also got a high efficiency front load washer from Facebook Marketplace last week for $80. The guy said it wasn't draining but everything else appeared to work. I thought that that's no big deal, my old washer did the same thing. It was usually the filter that was clogged with lint or dog hair or whatever else went through the cycle. I figured it was either that or the drain pump died, and the pump costs $20 - no problem! :rlaugh:
So I got it home and started investigating. Pulled the filter and it had a penny and a bunch of what appeared to be coarse sand in it. I thought that that's most likely the problem, he had younger kids and they had a bunch of sand in their pockets that went through the wash and destroyed the pump. So I ordered a pump, take the pump and housing out of the machine, clean the housing, remove a large piece of what looks like plastic from the pump section of the housing, then check the pump and find out there's nothing wrong with it. So I go ahead and put it back together. I get it all hooked up, try to run a cycle and find out that the drum won't agitate. So I open it up again, try to manually move the drum and find out it's hitting something and locking it up. Back to Google I go for more research! Come to find out that the spindle and arms that hold the drum in place are made of cast aluminum. Laundry soap enters the tub that contains the drum and slowly eats away at the cast aluminum causing the arms on the spindle to fail. :nonono: SO.....I ordered a new spindle. Now I'm into this washer for about $200 - as long as that's the only problem with it! If it is, it's at least $400 saved. If not...... well, let's just not go there!! Lol

Screenshot_20191028-193027.jpg