It's been awfully quiet around here.....

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
I've been slowly working on some of the unfinished projects in the kitchen again. I crawled into the attic and finished wiring the outlets for the under cabinet lighting and finally reinstalled the dishwasher. It appears that the seals in the water valve have dried up, so now I'll have to deal with that, but it's in place for now.

IMG_20191105_191842.jpg

I also got a high efficiency front load washer from Facebook Marketplace last week for $80. The guy said it wasn't draining but everything else appeared to work. I thought that that's no big deal, my old washer did the same thing. It was usually the filter that was clogged with lint or dog hair or whatever else went through the cycle. I figured it was either that or the drain pump died, and the pump costs $20 - no problem! :rlaugh:
So I got it home and started investigating. Pulled the filter and it had a penny and a bunch of what appeared to be coarse sand in it. I thought that that's most likely the problem, he had younger kids and they had a bunch of sand in their pockets that went through the wash and destroyed the pump. So I ordered a pump, take the pump and housing out of the machine, clean the housing, remove a large piece of what looks like plastic from the pump section of the housing, then check the pump and find out there's nothing wrong with it. So I go ahead and put it back together. I get it all hooked up, try to run a cycle and find out that the drum won't agitate. So I open it up again, try to manually move the drum and find out it's hitting something and locking it up. Back to Google I go for more research! Come to find out that the spindle and arms that hold the drum in place are made of cast aluminum. Laundry soap enters the tub that contains the drum and slowly eats away at the cast aluminum causing the arms on the spindle to fail. :nonono: SO.....I ordered a new spindle. Now I'm into this washer for about $200 - as long as that's the only problem with it! If it is, it's at least $400 saved. If not...... well, let's just not go there!! Lol

Screenshot_20191028-193027.jpg
The backsplash looks great! :nice:

That washer wasn't worth $80 when it was new. :notnice: No Samsung house appliance is.

• Sponsors(?)

LILCBRA

I started this morning by knocking out some studs
10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Thanks! I'm real happy with the way it turned out!

As for the Samsung, I kind of agree with you there. The set that I bought when I moved down here was a Samsung front load pair. Come to find out that while the ex had control of the house and everything in it the dryer died, so she just left it for me to deal with when she cleared the house out. I did some research and found that the drive motor is commonly at fault with them. So I replaced it instead of searching for a new one, figured I had a lot more do around here than have to spend money on a washer and dryer. $100 and a couple hours of my time later and I had a dryer. Small victory! :) I was hoping to find something similar for a washer and this one popped up. They'll be in service until I can get my life pointed north full time, it's just cheaper that way! When I go to replace them I'm sure they won't be Samsung products again.

Reactions: General karthief

Noobz347

Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
Thanks! I'm real happy with the way it turned out!

As for the Samsung, I kind of agree with you there. The set that I bought when I moved down here was a Samsung front load pair. Come to find out that while the ex had control of the house and everything in it the dryer died, so she just left it for me to deal with when she cleared the house out. I did some research and found that the drive motor is commonly at fault with them. So I replaced it instead of searching for a new one, figured I had a lot more do around here than have to spend money on a washer and dryer. $100 and a couple hours of my time later and I had a dryer. Small victory! :) I was hoping to find something similar for a washer and this one popped up. They'll be in service until I can get my life pointed north full time, it's just cheaper that way! When I go to replace them I'm sure they won't be Samsung products again.
I couldn't even tell you if anyone made appliances worth a damn anymore. Seems like they're all pretty much junk. :shrug:

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
So I got the new spider arms today and got that washer torn down. Here's what I found when I got it torn apart. Cleanup and reassembly will commence tomorrow with the new one that I painted in hopes of avoiding this problem in the future. Hopefully by time it might be a problem I'll have a new set.

IMG_20191106_195302.jpg

IMG_20191106_195336.jpg

Olivethefet

Slap me as well as point and laugh
May 17, 2018
Enterprise AL
I hope you get them going and they last for a while. We have a Samsung washer and dryer. They get the job done, but I have to agree with Noobz. All the new stuff is forced to be more "efficient" aka suck. Kinda like toilets. How are you supposed to flush with so little water. :shrug:

Reactions: LILCBRA

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Hurry up. I'm on my last pair of socks!
I'm workin on it!! lol

I hope you get them going and they last for a while. We have a Samsung washer and dryer. They get the job done, but I have to agree with Noobz. All the new stuff is forced to be more "efficient" aka suck. Kinda like toilets. How are you supposed to flush with so little water. :shrug:
Yep, I'm in total agreeance here too. I mean I used to have an old fridge from the 50s in my old shop that worked great. I'd argue that it worked BETTER than the fridge in the house! But it wasn't efficient at all. And of course it wasn't ozone friendly I'm sure. It seems like it's that way with about everything, there's a trade-off.

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
And I have laundry capabilities! Woohoo!! lol
Actually, it looks like I'll need to tear the washer down again, it looks like the shocks are bad. Not surprising I guess since when I tore it down they weren't cooperative and ended up separating. So now I'll be into this washer for $260 total. Still better than >$500 it could have been. Man, you don't fully appreciate things like this until you've been without for a while.....

IMG_20191107_163018.jpg

IMG_20191107_195133.jpg

Now to try and button up this kitchen so I can move on to the next project!!

Last edited:

2Blue2

I partied with that dude!, um girl, um whatever...
Mar 5, 2019
Oahu
rebuild of washer machine

Sub projects of bigger projects really chew up the time but at least it candy red!

Noobz347

Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
And I have laundry capabilities! Woohoo!! lol
Actually, it looks like I'll need to tear the washer down again, it looks like the shocks are bad. Not surprising I guess since when I tore it down they weren't cooperative and ended up separating. So now I'll be into this washer for $260 total. Still better than >$500 it could have been. Man, you don't fully appreciate things like this until you've been without for a while.....

IMG_20191107_163018.jpg

IMG_20191107_195133.jpg

Now to try and button up this kitchen so I can move on to the next project!!

Is that old piece metal?

I wonder if there is a "How to bullet proof your POS wash machine" video in here somewhere. :O_o:

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Is that old piece metal?
Yes, it appears to be cast aluminum. The new one is identical. I don't know if it's the added weight of everything clinging to the openings and crevices or if it's the laundry soap that eats away at the aluminum causing corrosion. But I figure if it's due to the soap a coat of paint should help. I'm actually a little surprised that they haven't enclosed all of the cavities, but then again I'm not.The date on the wash tub was from 2010, so I think it was ALMOST out of warranty since I think they have 10 years. Hopefully it'll last me that long if I need it to.

I wonder if there is a "How to bullet proof your POS wash machine" video in here somewhere. :O_o:
And there was at least one video on YouTube of someone who made their own solid arms in an effort to avoid this particular problem.

rebuild of washer machine

Sub projects of bigger projects really chew up the time but at least it candy red!
True - and it does add a splash of color in there, doesn't it?? lol

Reactions: Enzio and 2Blue2

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
@2Blue2 The washer added some color so I blocked it from view! lol

Actually the curtains are temporary. I got them just so I could say that the room is more or less complete but I intend to install French doors at some point later. They're supposed to be grey flannel but they sure do have a blue hue to them in my eyes.

IMG_20191110_183229.jpg

And I only have a couple things left before I call the kitchen done for now. I got the countertops caulked and wired & attached the dishwasher this weekend. The last couple bits are to attach the "bar top" at the end wall that separates the kitchen from the living room, paint the trim, and install the new water valve for the dishwasher. I also have some wiring issues to figure out before I can power 3 outlets and the disposal. I'm not quite sure where the problem is yet but the breaker won't turn back on for that circuit. I think I'm going to worry about the window trim when I replace the windows.

IMG_20191109_183440.jpg

IMG_20191109_183450.jpg

The next room to see attention is my master bedroom and bath. I'm knocking out some closets and combining 2 rooms to make a large master suite and enlarging the bathroom. This project shouldn't take near as long as the kitchen nor cost as much!! lol

As for the washer, the new shocks didn't do anything. When I pulled the old shocks out they still felt good. I'm guessing that they're friction based - I thought that when I was throwing back together the first time. It still walks a little, so I cheated one of the leveling legs to try and help it stay at least close to where it's supposed to be. My next step if I can't get the legs to work the way I want will be to screw some kind of locators to the floor to maintain it's position.

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Oh, forgot to mention I put the oak sides on the cabinets, I still need to stain/whitewash them. :)

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Literally lol! I wonder if any of my coworkers were anywhere close, they probably think I have some kind of weird science experiment going on in here! :stir:

Enzio

Dang it. I was hoping mine would get 3 more inches
May 14, 2019
Minnesota
I also have some wiring issues to figure out before I can power 3 outlets and the disposal. I'm not quite sure where the problem is yet but the breaker won't turn back on for that circuit. I think I'm going to worry about the window trim when I replace the windows.

Hi sounds like a dead short. Open the middle box and remove all the devices, then try to reset the breaker. If it resets then the problem is beyond the opened box. If it doesn't then the problem is ahead of the middle box. If these circuits are in the kitchen then you may have a GFIC issue but the resolution is the same as the dead short. Remember to turn the circuit off again when you go back to the problem.

Just saying...after 40 years of electrical work...I only burned my fingers once.

Reactions: LILCBRA