I've got $6000, which setup should I go with?

01blowngt

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I finally saved up enough cash to start modding the 06 (after my 01, I won't buy anything on credit for my car again!!!). I saved a little more then 6 G's and I want to supercharge my Mustang. To start, I should say that the car is all stock except a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs, a CDC chin spoiler and tinted windows (I know, big deal, but I said I was doing everything cash :p).

So here is my dilemma:

Should I spend it all (or most of it) on a Kenne Bell 2.6L intercooled setup? Or, should I save about $1500 on that and go with a Paxton 2200RR also intercooled and get some wheels and tires to go with it? The main reason I want wheels and tires isn't looks, but better grip and room for bigger brakes since the stock brakes are horrible.

What do you all think? Give me your reasons why you would do one over the other. Thanks again for your input.

• Sponsors (?)

Well it depends on what you direction you want to go with the car. If you want a killer street car and corner carver I would def go w/ the Kenne Bell......I am going to buy the 2.6 for my car. If you want a drag monster I would use a centrifugal blower such as the Paxton. The Kenne Bell is in my opinion the best blower for our car.......:nice:

Thats why you need to choose what is important to you. Looks and if you want street, track or drag strip oerformance. I would persoanlly ge the Kenne Bell, in fact I am going to ge the KB supercharger. I am not to fond of the paxton either...if you were getting a P-1SC or a Vortech I could understand the dilema......KB dude...save some more for the wheels....:D

Thats why you need to choose what is important to you. Looks and if you want street, track or drag strip oerformance. I would persoanlly ge the Kenne Bell, in fact I am going to ge the KB supercharger. I am not to fond of the paxton either...if you were getting a P-1SC or a Vortech I could understand the dilema......KB dude...save some more for the wheels....:D

Why don't you like Paxton? Paxton and Vortech are pretty much the same (they are both owned by Vortech). Both have great quality but the Paxton is a bigger blower so it can make more power and comes with an air-to-air intercooler which I like better. The ATI has too many issues (I know this from first hand) and I keep hearing about tensioner problems on the KB units. Don't dismiss the Paxton too quickly, it is a great blower.

I have installed Paxtons, Vortechs and P-1sc....none of them on our cars all of them on both the sn95's and the fox bodies......I am partial to the procharger and the Vortech....unfortunately I have had bad luck w/ the Paxtons.....mostly bearing issues....but there is always lemons....I have heard of the probs w/ the Kenne Bell but have never seen them first hand. I have a few friends that have them and they are making some serius power. Go with what you feel the most comfortable with. Either way you go, it will be super sweet. Our cars are already fast as heck and anything you add to it will make it better. If you want instant power then the roots is a better blower regrdless of the brand.....if you don't mind waiting a split second more for the centrifugals to wind up then save some $$ and go with the Paxton and get your wheels. I am going less crazy on the performance w/ this car sompared to my 01 and getting more into the appearance. This car will not hit the strip like my other one. It is very hard on the vehicle.....especially the way I drive.....:D

I've heard good thing about them....I have never installed one before, however I think you do pay a little more for the name. You know another option is whipple. In fact the FRPP blowers are made by whipple and they are a little bit less. I thnk a Saleen blower is going to cost as much as a KB though. I found the Saleens from 6k to 5100 depending on which kit you get.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_3385098/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#3385098

This is from another forum...hopefully I don't get in trouble...lol But I think that they have some decent prices on Saleen blowers.

Why not the Roush?

I have seen a number of Supercharger brands discussed here, but no mention of the Roush? I have no strong feelings, as I have virtually no experience with modding cars (used to modify bikes, tho, once upon a time). Given that Roush is willing to stand by their product to the point that they'll provide a warranty that meets or beats the original warranty, I'm at least inclined to believe that their product is quality. Is it power gain? The Roush seems to be on the low end of Superchargers for overall gain- but on the other hand, if you want a Road Racer/Daily Driver and not a Dragster, then you need to balance the power against the handling potential of the car and the skill of the driver...

same formula in bikes... I used to think of it as 'Darwins theories, applied'... people who knew crap-all about riding taking a 1000cc bike, boring it, strapping on timing advancers, cams and stage 3 jet kits... not bothering with tires or learning how to ride... and ending up an organ donor.

Vin

I have seen a number of Supercharger brands discussed here, but no mention of the Roush? I have no strong feelings, as I have virtually no experience with modding cars (used to modify bikes, tho, once upon a time). Given that Roush is willing to stand by their product to the point that they'll provide a warranty that meets or beats the original warranty, I'm at least inclined to believe that their product is quality. Is it power gain? The Roush seems to be on the low end of Superchargers for overall gain- but on the other hand, if you want a Road Racer/Daily Driver and not a Dragster, then you need to balance the power against the handling potential of the car and the skill of the driver...

same formula in bikes... I used to think of it as 'Darwins theories, applied'... people who knew crap-all about riding taking a 1000cc bike, boring it, strapping on timing advancers, cams and stage 3 jet kits... not bothering with tires or learning how to ride... and ending up an organ donor.

Vin

The Roush supercharger is just a regular Eaton (roots type) blower renamed as a Roush. I won't get into the differences between twin screw (KB, Saleen), centrifugal (Paxton, Vortech, ATI), and roots (Roush, Magnacharger); but I will say this: The roots type blowers are the least efficient blowers of the 3. They produce boost at low RPM but fall on their face up top. They also create a lot of heat (because of the inefficiency). There for, they make the least amount of power and the most amount of drag on the motor. Basically, they are a waste of money.

not a waste of money

it all depends on the application if you are keeping it on the street its a great blower especially with the warranty

tell the supercoupe crowd that are making 400+ rwhp with roots blowers on non split port 3.8 v6's that they are a "waste"

If you ask me all the blowers out there are not worth 6k. Id personally rather spend 6k on the motor stroke to 302 p+p heads and stage 3 comp cams.

The studies have shown the roots blowers to pull 3 to 7 hp drain on the motor. Now concidering they easily put 450 on the ground, I am not seeing the logic of they are not worth it. Centrifugal blowers (Vortec, Paxton, P-1sc's are good for drag racing. They take a little while longer to spool up. If you want the instant power "best for the street" the roots are teh best way to go. Look at every factory car ever made that has a blower. They are all roots style blowers, never centrifugal. As far as heat is concrened I would never put anything polished under the hood becaus of that. Besides that is what intercoolers are for.

Look at every factory car ever made that has a blower. They are all roots style blowers, never centrifugal. As far as heat is concrened I would never put anything polished under the hood becaus of that. Besides that is what intercoolers are for.

That is not true. You don't have to look much past Ford to see that OEMs have come with other types of blowers. Hell the Ford GT (GT40) comes with a twin screw... why because they are more efficient. And if you look at the old Shelby's they came with Paxton blowers. The reason OEMs tend to use roots blowers are because they are cheap, in supply, and easy to package. Ford used a twin screw on its most expensive car because they could afford to.

Roots blowers cost almost as much as a Vortech or Paxton but can't make as much power and aren't as efficient, hence in my opinion are not worth the money. Yes, they can make power... but if you want power why not opt for a blower that is more efficient and can make more for the almost the same money?