Build Thread Jamee's Build Up Thread

It's nice to see a build where someone isn't being so anal about every single aspect of the build. You're getting parts quick and making good progress, that helps to keep you motivated. Remember, once the car is running you can always make little tweaks here and there to improve its performance and appearance.

I so often see people do the same thing you're doing and it ends up taking months/years to complete because they are being too meticulous about everything. Keep up the good work!

I'm trying! :nice:
I'm doing a budget build that's aimed at being reliable. So far I have $1,567 into this project, including the price of the car, and all I need is some minor parts other than the t5.
I need motor mounts, t5 mount, t5, shift bezel, clutch linkage, timing cover, accessories and mounts...... and a new rear end :D
Plus I can sell the old engine/tranny + 302 components I'll have left over. It's going pretty well... Could be faster if I had the right parts close to me, but tis life.:rolleyes:

• Sponsors (?)

I painted the block black and the valve covers are black too, what color should I paint the heads, intake manifold, and oil pan?
I'm open to suggestions :) ty
SDC11298.JPG

SDC11359.JPG

good luck.
i would as well,but i have no garage to do it in.
the Hanlon How To Rebuild Your T5 Transmission DVD is really good.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm undecided if I want to bother purchasing a DVD or not.
I took the cover off the transmission and found two of the gears ground, I think on 2nd gear.
SDC11386.JPG

But I got the stainless headers, pretty happy with them.
SDC11385.JPG

Still waiting for the block to get done at the machine shop.. working on other stuff that I can. Since I'm running 351w heads on a 302 block, the head bolts are a different size, so I had to order some bushings to make the head bolts work properly.
View attachment 218479
So far the running total is $2,068 including price of car.
SDC11435.JPG

Is that bellhousing in the pic the correct one for a 5.0? I'm not sure if you mentioned which one you were going with, but the 3.8 one won't work as is. I think it needs modification to make it work.

I have both 3.8 and 5.0 94 bellhousings right now. The 3.8 uses a 164 tooth flywheel (11" clutch) 5.0 uses 157 tooth (10" clutch) and I'm going with the 3.8 since I already have the larger flywheel. :)

where did you get the larger flywheel for a 5 speed that fits that bellhousing with the proper imbalance? I searched high and low one time with no avail. I came to the conclusion that such a flywheel didn't exist unless you had one made special or had an existing one rebalanced.

where did you get the larger flywheel for a 5 speed that fits that bellhousing with the proper imbalance? I searched high and low one time with no avail. I came to the conclusion that such a flywheel didn't exist unless you had one made special or had an existing one rebalanced.

I'm using the stock flywheel that came on the 302, it's out of a f150 I think. Not really 100% sure what vehicle the engine came out of.
SDC11259.JPG

The flywheel is at the machine shop getting resurfaced right now... they've had the block for like 2 weeks now... wouldn't mind them finishing it... lol :rolleyes: