Job Search - Maybe you can help

Ok, short background story on me:

I graduated with honors in May from the Savannah College of Art and Design with a BFA degree in Industrial Design. Two months after graduation, I landed a sick job at a toy design firm about 25 minutes from my house. I worked there for almost 3 months, and a week before the 3 month mark, I was let go for what I assume was business reasons since I was doing everything perfectly and I worked my a*s off. Since I was still within the 3 month trial period, they didn't have to tell me why they let me go. I really enjoyed this job and I was making pretty good money considering I just graduated.

For the last month and a half I've applied to probably 20 places in the NY/NJ/PA/CT area that interested me, and despite me following up all the time, there has been no response from most of the companies. I know it hasn't been that long that I've been unemployed but I'm definitely in a rut and I feel pretty useless. I wake up late, search for jobs, then have nothing to do for the day so I keep myself busy with little projects and spend way too much time on the forums.

The reason why I posted this on here to to possibly try and network with people in the area who might work in the field or know people who do. As most of us on this site are, I'm pretty much obsessed with cars and I'd love nothing more than to work in some sort of automotive design/fabrication job. I do understand that it is nearly impossible to get into that field, but I always keep it in the back of my head. As long as I was making decent money, I'd even love to do stereo system fabrication and custom fabrication/design on cars. I am trained in sketching, 3D modeling, fabrication and model building, welding, metal and machine work, and some graphic design.

If you do anything similar, or know anyone that does, please let me know. I need a job, and I need to keep the creative juices flowin!!!

• Sponsors (?)

It's nice to be young, but I would'nt go back to being 20 years old again for anything. The job market is scary as hell now. Pretty soon we'll all have to move to China or Taiwan to get a job that does'nt involve flipping burgers. Good luck with the search. For along time it's definitely been who you know, not what you know to get your foot in the door.

I am in the same boat as you stp. I just graduated with my Master's in CS and it has been very difficult to land a job. I currently have my resume being floated around in a few places so hopefully something will pop soon.

The best advice I can give you is to definitely network by becoming a member on LinkedIn.com and "linking" with people you know

I am in the same boat as you stp. I just graduated with my Master's in CS and it has been very difficult to land a job. I currently have my resume being floated around in a few places so hopefully something will pop soon.

The best advice I can give you is to definitely network by becoming a member on LinkedIn.com and "linking" with people you know

Thanks man, I'm actually on LinkedIn and have been for about a year now. So far no one has contacted me. I'm constantly on coroflot.com and indeed.com looking for current design jobs. I've applied to a bunch, but people area just looking for the BEST of the BEST because if they are laying any sort of cash down to hire someone in this economy they need to make sure they are a stellar designer. I'd like to say I'm pretty damn good, I graduated with a 4.0 GPA in my major from one of the best design schools in the country, so I'm surprised I haven't had a little more action.

Some areas in NJ is hiring police and sheriff officers. You are familiar with Passiac county right?

Yes, I'm familiar with Passiac County, I'm from Essex County. There is no way I could be a police officer haha. Honestly, I don't think I'd have the balls to do that.

Does your school have a job placement, or assistance program? If so, I would start there. Yes, you have graduated but they may be willing to help you out, or at least point you in the right direction.

Also, try some large companies as they often have different sectors and depending on the company, have a high turnover rate which can help get you in the door.

Yes, my school does have a job placement program. I receive emails and Facebook messages from my Industrial Design career advisor letting me know when industrial design jobs become available. Many of them are too far from the area I want to be in, or require candidates with more experience than I have. I have applied to a few places my advisor sent to me, but I never heard back from any of them.

you are gonna need to relocate. look everywhere. texas is good still. DFW has tech jobs. its going to take that to get it going. you cant stick to an area in times like this.

if you are unwilling to relocate you might be unemployed for an extended time.

Yes, I'm familiar with Passiac County, I'm from Essex County. There is no way I could be a police officer haha. Honestly, I don't think I'd have the balls to do that.

Well, if you try Wayne, theres nothing really threatening over there. Id see where you'd be coming from if i said go police in Paterson. But, its something to just think about. Also, state employees get amazing benfits. But good luck with your job search. Like billfisher said, you may have to relocate.

My fiancee is a professional writer and you've probably driven by one of her billboards in the last week, or read/watch advertising in magazines/tv that she has done.

She is really good at tweaking resumes and has helped a bunch of my friends.

:flag:Mark
[email protected]

Have a good friend here in Louisville that graduated form Savannah. there's plenty of graphics arts companies here in town, Creative Alliance is one that I know off-hand. Do a search for Louisville, KY.

Well, if you try Wayne, theres nothing really threatening over there. Id see where you'd be coming from if i said go police in Paterson. But, its something to just think about. Also, state employees get amazing benfits. But good luck with your job search. Like billfisher said, you may have to relocate.

Haha yea, I totally hear what your saying and while I do appreciate the suggestion, I really could never be a cop. I respect their jobs very much, but it's not for me.

My fiancee is a professional writer and you probably drive by one of her billboards in the last week, or read/watch advertising in magazines/tv that she has done.

She is really good at tweaking resumes and has helped a bunch of my friends.

:flag:Mark
[email protected]

Thanks man, I might send it over. My aunt is the head of HR for Blackstone in NYC and she currently has the reigns on my resume because she does it for a living, but it is always nice to get a second opinion. Thanks!

Have a good friend here in Louisville that graduated form Savannah. there's plenty of graphics arts companies here in town, Creative Alliance is one that I know off-hand. Do a search for Louisville, KY.

What's your friends name? Maybe we've crossed paths. Graphics arts is a little different than Industrial Design, but I looked up Creative Alliance and it looks pretty cool.

As for moving, it's not really something I'm willing to do. I want to stay in the area because I am close to my family, and don't want to live far from them, and my girlfriend of 3 years also lives in the area. We plan to live together after she graduates school in a few months and once we've saved up some money. She also wants to be close to her family in PA, so for now we'll be staying here.