Junkyard electric fan recommendations for a 1965 with A/C

Cannoball888

Dec 25, 2005
Gainesville, FL
I'd like to ditch my stock fan and replace it with an electric one, however I'd rather not shell out several hundred dollars for a Flex-A-Lite or the like. I'd like to pull an electric fan unit from a junkyard. Does anyone know what modern car's electric fan and shroud will basically bolt in (or fit with minimal modification) a 1965 Stang with a 17.25" wide and 16.5" tall radiator?

• Sponsors (?)

I can tell you that the Taurus fan, (which is popular swap for fox bodies) will NOT fit. I tried. I have a 4 core copper radiator, but was still about an inch shy.

I eventually plan to install a large crossflow aluminum unit and two 12" electric fans.

But I also would like to know if anyone else has found somthing.

67GTCOUPE said:
Thanks.

Does it come with temp sensor and controller? Where does it sense the temp from?

Also, did you need to get a bigger altenator?

Thanks

I have a 130Amp unit on my 5.0L EFI setup with a high output stereo, but the fan should be fine without upgrading if it is set to only come on while the car is running. (standard) The temp sensor is a pin that is put through the fins of the radiator. Very simple setup and mine came with the High/low relays as well. If you run an upgraded stereo you would most likely want to get a higher amp alternator.

i was looking for some the other night (well online at least).

looks like if you do a fox body or 19x27" radiator you should be able to fit in a 98+ LS1 dual fan setup in there. that's my plan at least...

66moneypit said:
HHStang, do you have pics of the Intrepid fan installed ?

I'll look and see. I have it on my 67, but the car isn't complete. This same fan is/was real popular with the 5.0 Mustang racers as an upgrade. It was sold for years in a generic form as the "ramchargers" fan, by a now defunct Detroit Speed Shop named Ramchargers. Search the Corral.net site and search on the word ramcharger. I think you'll find pics.

just take a measuring tape to the junkyard :)

i have a 4 core radiator and i pulled 3 fans
im pretty sure the common pontiac/chevy fan didnt fit and the common taurus one didnt either

i stumbled upon a svt taurus (forget teh real name) and that fan fit i believe
i also got one from a chrysler

the car ran a little hotter but you can tell a performance change