Junkyard electric fan

interceptor7

Aug 11, 2006
What vehicles could I get a good electric fan from? I've heard Taurus, Lincolns, etc, but wasn't sure if the model years made a difference. Also, which one would be easier to install and work with the stock reservoir (I know there will be some fabrication involved, but the less, the better).

BTW, my Mustang is pretty much stock, but I plan on doing h/c/i in the future, if that matters.

• Sponsors (?)

I got mine from a 1993 3.8L v6 taurus for $50 at the junkyard. It would be good if you could get both ends of the quick disconnect and at least a couple inches past so you'll have a quick disconnect ready for your car in case you have to pull the fan/radiator to do some work. Also, keep in mind distance to the water pump. I have about 1/4" or less clearance from the fan to my water pump shaft w/ the stock 2 core radiator. With a 3 core radiator, it wouldn't fit. Keep in mind my car has been wrecked in the front, so that may be part of it, but I'm not sure if that's the whole reason or not.

I mounted it upside down, slid it down into the stock shrowd mounts on the radiator and made the brackets to hold it on the radiator. I mounted the overflow next to it (pretty good fit if you mount the fan upside down like I did). I know the overflow could be mounted w/ nicer hardware, but it's what I had and wasn't real worried about looking spectacular.

I suggest a DCC unit to control the fan. See www.dccontrol.com and order now. It'll probably take you at least 2 weeks to get the unit, maybe longer, but it's worth it. Get the LED too that you mount in your car. to let you know the fan is on. You'll want the FK35 unit, which, for the unit and light, you're looking at about $120-130 after shipping. Way better than having to worry about flipping a toggle switch so your car doesn't overheat and it eliminates a sudden spike to the alternator by slowly pulling current.:nice:

Here are some pics of my install:

pic.php

pic.php

pic.php

And here's where I mounted my DCC unit:
pic.php

I personally sell Mark VIII, Taurus, and Dual Ramcharger style fans on eBay. Taurus fans are $55 plus shipping, OEM Mark VIII's are $75, trimmed Mark VIII's are $95, and Trimmed Mark VIII's with custom brackets to bolt right into a 5.0 are $130.

Here's a link to my auctions:

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcaseywankenobi

I can also get simple 2 speed controllers for $20, but I highly reccommend a DCC,