Just bought a 2000 GT with Kenne Bell and damaged engine, have more questions...

Gearhead91

Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
New stang: 2000 GT, Lazar Red, Intercooled KB, full exhaust, gears, shifter, control arms, lowered, all bolt-ons.

My stang: 2002 GT, Black, stage 1 VT cams, full exhaust, lowered, control arms, chip, shifter, all bolt-ons

I have 2 questions I know you guys can help me with

1) How do I know if I have the 2.1 Kenne Bell or the older 1.7? I have no receipts with it, just install instructions and doesn't say.

2) Well, I found out my #2 cylinder has no compression, so now I'm seeing my options. Either swap the KB to my other stock motor stang, or get a built short block and put it back in the stang with the blower. hmmm...,money is always a concern as well!

A stock 2v can safely put down 400-425hp to wheels with safe dyno tune on stock block, right? Everyone says that our pistons and rods are the week link. They are the same internals as the newer 3v, right? So how come the 3v guys are making 475-500hp to the wheels, stock, and holding together? I know they have more valves to make more power, but everything from the pistons down are getting hammered harder!

Just trying to go into this project well educated!! Thanks :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

1) How do I know if I have the 2.1 Kenne Bell or the older 1.7? I have no receipts with it, just install instructions and doesn't say.

On my 1.7 there's an identification # stamped into the aluminum piece that the drive-section bolts to. On the driver's side, near the bypass valve, I see "417" stamped into the aluminum. Maybe yours has a similar mark.

2) Well, I found out my #2 cylinder has no compression, so now I'm seeing my options. Either swap the KB to my other stock motor stang, or get a built short block and put it back in the stang with the blower. hmmm...,money is always a concern as well!

A stock 2v can safely put down 400-425hp to wheels with safe dyno tune on stock block, right? Everyone says that our pistons and rods are the week link. They are the same internals as the newer 3v, right?

Both the 3V and 2V use hypereutectic pistons and powdered metal rods, if that's what you mean. The pistons aren't the "same" since the combustion chambers are different. Don't know about the rods though I suspect there's little difference between the two.

Because the pistons have a high silicon content they're brittle. Combined with a very short distance from the top of the piston to the first ring means a piston that is very intolerant of detonation. A piston typically gets hurt at first by a chunk of this section snapping off. Total destruction is usually not far behind. The rods have a thin cross section and aren't really designed for the high cylinder pressures S/C motors can develop.

So how come the 3v guys are making 475-500hp to the wheels, stock, and holding together? I know they have more valves to make more power, but everything from the pistons down are getting hammered harder!

I suspect part of the reason is that they can get somewhat more aggressive on the tune because their combustion chambers are superior. An engine that is less prone to detonation can be run somewhat leaner and with perhaps a tad more timing. Second, if you think of boost as a measure of backpressure, a 10psi on a 3V head is more total airflow than 10psi on a 2V head.

IMHO, a 3V at 475-500 is a time bomb, good chamber or not. With hypereutectic pistons and powdered rods, I still wouldn't feel comfortable over 425... I just think the edge of their envelope is pushed out a bit because they have a better head.