Just bought a 98 Stang GT 5spd

• Sponsors (?)

Turbo92PGT said:
I bet you're right. How would I go about finding out for sure what rear end gears I have? and how would I go about correcting the speedometer for them? The car really seems to have quite a bit of power. I'm going to have alot of fun with this car, tinkerin and such. Is there quite a bit of parts for the 4.6? comparative to the 5.0? Anything is better than the Probe. There were no parts for those, as well as no way to make good power out of the. Besides a boost controller (gt)
There is a way to tell by turning the rear wheel in relation to the drive shaft...someone will step in and tell you since I can't remember what it is. I have a speedo gear in mine but it is still 10 mph off at 70 so I show 80. The best thing to get is a Speedcal form www.dallasmustang.com. The 4.6 mod market is beginining to take off. There are all sorts of things out there now. You might want to poke around your own car to see what has been done. If it has has a gear swap then there are probably some more mods also.

I went on that MustangTuning website and was looking around at the stuff on there. Some pretty cool stuff i tell ya :) I was thinking of ordering the cold air intake off there and this shifter.... it doesnt say its for any specific year mustang. So help me out.... http://www.mustangtuning.com/sttrshha.html

I'll be more careful taking the revs that high up. Just kinda testin er out today. Ummmm... what else was I going to ask? *thinks* Oh ya

1. What kind of engine oil (weight) and how many quarts does the 4.6 use?
2. What kind of oil does the transmission take and how much?
3. What kind of oil does the rear end use and how much?

Thanks for all the help! You guys are great

I use 10w30 in my stang for the engine...

I don't think the tranny takes oil, hehe. If it does then mine's in trouble. I've never heard of any 5spd taking oil.

The rear end uses grease, not oil. Dunno what kind.

As said above. Look into the 99+ pi swap. there is a difference, though, between the 99 and 01+ heads. The swap makes the car 100% different. Not only bigger valves and better ports but also an added point in compression. If you did this, too, you would have to replace the intake manifold and that would get rid of the coolant leak. Your looking at about 2g's price tag for the swap. You can find good deals in strange places, though. I got my heads/cams/valves for 350 off a wreaked 01.

Turbo92PGT said:
I went on that MustangTuning website and was looking around at the stuff on there. Some pretty cool stuff i tell ya :) I was thinking of ordering the cold air intake off there and this shifter.... it doesnt say its for any specific year mustang. So help me out.... http://www.mustangtuning.com/sttrshha.html

I'll be more careful taking the revs that high up. Just kinda testin er out today. Ummmm... what else was I going to ask? *thinks* Oh ya

1. What kind of engine oil (weight) and how many quarts does the 4.6 use?
2. What kind of oil does the transmission take and how much?
3. What kind of oil does the rear end use and how much?

Thanks for all the help! You guys are great
Motor oil is 5W30. I use synthetic myself 6qts. Transmission fluid is Dextron III or Motorcraft Mercon 6.6 pints (3.1 L) or just fill to the top of the fill hole. The rear end oil is 90w140? and is 3.75 pints (1.7L) or to the top of the fill hole.

PM if you need anything....I'll be happy to help.

didn't read all of the posts to know if someone responded, but the fuse you are looking for (cig light) is on the main fuse block in the engine bay (20-25 amp <clear>) I believe.

also, for the CAI. if funds permit buy from a reputable company (search). if not just go to any plumbing supply store. 4" rubber spacer (cut to length), 4" 90^ pvc elbow, 4-3.5" rubber reducer, epoxy to stock replacement K&N, and clamps =less then 10 bucks minus filter which has worked for me the last 5 years.

later,
Wes

The cig lighter and aux power socket fuse IS in the engine compartment high current fuse panel which is between the battery and strut tower. Labeled CIG ILLUM and it's a 30 amp green colored fuse.

From the manual, the car takes 6 quarts w/filter change engine oil recommended 5W 30, I run 20w 50 (FWIW)

T-45 Tranny, Mercon V ATF, 6.6 pints, I use Royal Purple MAX ATF synthetic (FWIW)

Rearend, 3.75 pints + 4 oz. of Ford friction modifier (that stuff REALLY smells awful!) 75W 90 Gear oil, I use Redline 75W 90 synthetic (FWIW)

Is it one of the big fuses? (big in size)? Or is it one of the mini fuses? None of them are labeled. Those fuses look ok to me. Maybe I'll go buy some new ones just to test em. Is there any other things I should check about the cig lighter? Does it really matter too much about whether the cai is from a good company?
This is the intake I think im going to buy... if you guys think its any good. http://www.mustangtuning.com/mugtv8pocoai.html

As well as this shifter
http://www.mustangtuning.com/sttrshha.html

Lemme know what you guys think

Turbo92PGT said:
Is it one of the big fuses? (big in size)? Or is it one of the mini fuses? None of them are labeled. Those fuses look ok to me. Maybe I'll go buy some new ones just to test em. Is there any other things I should check about the cig lighter? Does it really matter too much about whether the cai is from a good company?
This is the intake I think im going to buy... if you guys think its any good. http://www.mustangtuning.com/mugtv8pocoai.html

As well as this shifter
http://www.mustangtuning.com/sttrshha.html

Lemme know what you guys think

thats not actually a shifter, just the handle look for a triax, heres a link http://www.partshopper.com/catalog/itemdisplay/9.html

id becareful buying that CAI also, ive never heard of anyone with it. I wouldnt really bother with a CAI, your not going to gain much with it.

Turbo92PGT said:
Hey everyone! My name is Andy, I live in Washington State and just recently purchased a 98 Mustang GT 5 spd. With a 4.6L engine. I looked and looked for a 94-95 GT with the 5.0. BUt couldn't find any good ones. I picked the car up today (christmas eve) and am pretty pleased with it. Has pretty good power and seems to drive pretty well. Only problems with it are

Cigarette LIghters dont work (both)
Grinds a tiny bit when I shift into reverse
and now it has a pretty bad coolant leak near the intake manifold

I would like to know a few things
Where is the best place to buy performance parts such as Cold air, t/b, etc for the 4.6.
What transmission do I have?? (T5, t45) or whatever
What rear end gears I have? (I have factory 17" wheels if that matters)

and one more thing, why does it hit fuel cut right at 6 grand (redline)

1. Cigarette lighters probably don't work because of a blown fuse, but if the car has an aftermarket stereo, the power for the cigarette lighters may have been rediverted to the stereo.

2. You have a T45 and grinding in reverse is pretty normal... :fuss:

3. Coolant leak near the intake is probably a cracked intake manifold (also pretty common). :bang:

4. With 17" rims the stock rear end ratio is 3.27.

5. Redline in the PCM is 6050 rpm.

Hope this helps answer your questions. BTW...I think 98 is the best year for the Mustang too...:nice:

Sam98 said:
1. Cigarette lighters probably don't work because of a blown fuse, but if the car has an aftermarket stereo, the power for the cigarette lighters may have been rediverted to the stereo.

2. You have a T45 and grinding in reverse is pretty normal... :fuss:

3. Coolant leak near the intake is probably a cracked intake manifold (also pretty common). :bang:

4. With 17" rims the stock rear end ratio is 3.27.

5. Redline in the PCM is 6050 rpm.

Hope this helps answer your questions. BTW...I think 98 is the best year for the Mustang too...:nice:

i have the 17 inch wheels yet i had the 2.73's :shrug:

Hey I found a tag on the rear end of the car. This is all the numbers that it read. My dad and I tried to turn the wheel in relation to the axle or whatever, to calculate the rear end ratio. My dad thinks its a 3.27 rear end. I think it HAD a 2.73 and was swapped for a 3.27. Cuz the speedo is off.

The numbers on the tag read like this

S231C
3L27 86 8A09

Any ideas what that means?

I just put a cone air filter right on the throttle body of my dads 90 Corvette (TPI) today, and it really screams. It made a VERY noticeable difference. I'd like to get some kind of an intake for my mustang, for the noise and added performance of it. Thats why I was thinking about the 65 dollar one, because the price wasn't bad and then I could afford to get my windows re tinted, because the tint that is on it is all bubbly. How would I go about fixing the speedometer? How can I find out what kind of a gear I need to get? etc?

Turbo92PGT said:
Hey I found a tag on the rear end of the car. This is all the numbers that it read. My dad and I tried to turn the wheel in relation to the axle or whatever, to calculate the rear end ratio. My dad thinks its a 3.27 rear end. I think it HAD a 2.73 and was swapped for a 3.27. Cuz the speedo is off.

The numbers on the tag read like this

S231C
3L27 86 8A09

Any ideas what that means?

I just put a cone air filter right on the throttle body of my dads 90 Corvette (TPI) today, and it really screams. It made a VERY noticeable difference. I'd like to get some kind of an intake for my mustang, for the noise and added performance of it. Thats why I was thinking about the 65 dollar one, because the price wasn't bad and then I could afford to get my windows re tinted, because the tint that is on it is all bubbly. How would I go about fixing the speedometer? How can I find out what kind of a gear I need to get? etc?

Optional 3.27 rear gears