just bought a T5, kinda confused

Lawbreaker5.0

Feb 20, 2009
Texas
I've searched and found little to no results so now i post here in hopes that someone can help.

Ok, so on my 92 convertible, the top plate of the trans has a sensor on it, specifically on the back left if you stand behind the transmission. If you unscrew the sensor, there is a prong inside. I'm pretty sure this prong has something to do with the nuetral safety switch, but i'm not certain. I do know its not the backup light switch since that clearly is on the side of the transmission.

The t5 i just bought does not have the sensor or even a spot for the sensor and my 93 4 cyl t5 doesn't either. I was a little scared thinking i just bought a 4 cyl t5 but i checked the size of the input shaft and the freeze plug thing in the front by the input bearing retainer (said timken).

So why isn't there the sensor on the top of the transmission?

Also, since i'm on the topic of transmissions, i would like some input. There isn't much in and out play (if any) on the input shaft but there is quite a bit of side to side play. Also you can spin the input shaft pretty easily. You can basically spin the input shaft and let go and it will keep spinning a couple times. On my 92 verts trans there was a decent amount of drag, where as this one there is not.

Can someone let me know what they think. I'm positive that i could rebuild a t5 transmission even though i've never tried. It doesn't hurt that i have a manual as well :D. The only thing is, its very general on things to look for. It basically tells you how to take it apart and put it back together.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: i just looked at the 4 cyl t5 that is in the car now. I checked the size of the input shaft by placing the 85 ranger pilot bearing over the shaft. It fit perfect and i walked over to the t5 i just bought and it didn't fit. So i know the input shafts are different. I looked close and the 4 cyl t5 had the same damn TIMKEN plate. Well i could only see KEN and the whole part number which looked to be LMG7010-BCE. The door jamb code reads 2GFGG under the TR section.

So i'm really confused here.

• Sponsors (?)

Can't help you on the switch on the top cover other tell you that you are correct on it being part of the neutral safety switch iirc. Side to side play on the input shaft doesn't matter, the splines in the clutch will hold her when shes in. The in and out play is what is critical. T5 rebuilds are not too hard, this last one is giving me a fit though. It's more of a PITA job imo then a real deep, involved type deal. If you have a manual by all means go for it.

This is the guide I always use, it's a little easier to read than the shop manual version.

http://www.pomoforacing.com/tech/T5Rebuild2002.pdf

Sensor wasn't on the 1985-older T-5's.

In 1985.5, it was added, but on the opposite side with a different plug

1986+ has the sensor where we all know it to be.

So you have an older t-5. Look for the metal ID tag or casting numbers on the case. Should be a circle with a 2-digit number inside. That's the date the trans case was cast. Might help you figure out what year you have (1984-1985 most likely)

thats what i was afraid of, but why would the 93 not have a sensor on top. I know its atleast the newer case, because i read about some clear signs. i'll take pics in a little while of what i'm talking about. I will also open it up to check the internals.

What's the casting year code on the '93 4-banger cover??

I have a 1990 4-banger t-5 in my Mustang that i changed the gearset out to v8 specs...it still had the sensor on the top cover.

Does the casting date code say 92/93 on it on the cover in question?

I think its a sn95 world class. I thought i read that they eliminated the neutral safety switch on the top case. I was told that this neutral safety switch only was there so cruise control could not be set while in nuetral in the foxbody's. ????

the side of the case. See the nob thing under the backup switch. This should indicate that it is late model t5
0412001658.jpg

The 5th gear shaft is snug and basically has a guide where it enters the transcase. My 92 t5 just had an open hole
0412001659b.jpg

Here is a pic witht the bellhousing connected. The input shaft looks pretty long.
0412001659c.jpg

this a pic of the gears with the top case off.
0412001706.jpg

What's the casting year code on the '93 4-banger cover??

I have a 1990 4-banger t-5 in my Mustang that i changed the gearset out to v8 specs...it still had the sensor on the top cover.

Does the casting date code say 92/93 on it on the cover in question?

I will check tonight when i pull out the 4 banger t5.

The length of the input shaft on the 4 banger is shorter than the trans i just got. I believe they should still be the same length.

you are right. The one you posted pics of is a later t-5.

cool, so what all needs do be done to make this work?

Also, i just notice this shift fork. Is it 3-4? i don't know but its missing the plastic piece and looks like the metal that normally is under the plastic piece is broken

0412001813.jpg

Can i grab the shift fork from the 4 banger? Are they the same?

thanks

Even though i really do not wanna attempt to take the top case apart.

That is the 1-2 shift fork. Its the same part in the 4-banger.

to Make the SN95 trans work, you need to swap the input shaft and bearing retainer from a fox t-5 in.

4-cly is not the same in this area

That is the 1-2 shift fork. Its the same part in the 4-banger.

to Make the SN95 trans work, you need to swap the input shaft and bearing retainer from a fox t-5 in.

4-cly is not the same in this area

Cool. i will make an attempt to take apart the lid tonight. I remember messing with my 92 t5 lid forever and it wasn't apart, just out of order :D.

I know you can make the sn95 t5 work in a foxbody with a couple mods but yeah i would rather find an input shaft and retainer.

so the buck tag on the 4 banger is 13-52-209. So its def a 92-93 4 cyl trans. So they eliminated the nuetral safety switch on the trans in 93? kinda wierd or is it because its a NWC. I would figure the cases would still change with the times just not the internals of the NWC.

I'm wonderning if i can switch the lids between the 4 cyl and sn95 t5? Are the parts the same. They look similar but the shape of the shift fork on the 93 4 banger looks different than the other one, but it could be me